March 29, 2024, 01:06:09 AM

OTG programming issues

Started by raddude, September 05, 2014, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raddude

Hello, I just got my Pinguino OTG, but I can't get it to program. Neither Linux nor Windows seem to "do" anything when I plug in the micro USB. Usually at least on Windows you can see an unknown device pop up in device manager and in Linux/Ubuntu you can use "dmesg" to se the last item plugged in. I tried this on two different computers and nothing came up. I am used to an arduino where you just plug it in and set the board.

I am setting the correct 32bit-Pinguino-OTG selection in the Pinguino ide, but nothing happens. However I don't ever get prompted to install the drivers on windows, and Linux which should have the drivers never identifies that a new device has been plugged in.

Am I doing something wrong? I was under the impression I didn't need a pickit or ICD to program the board. It does seem to be alive as it is running a blinking LED application.

Do I have a dead usb communications channel? I am starting to wonder if I just have a bad board.

JohnS

Are you doing the right things with the buttons (this is RTFM or thereabouts)?

Might get more help on Pinguino's own forum BTW!

John

raddude

There is always a possibility I didn't something wrong. I don't see any jumpers to set. I didn't see any mention of "hold reset down while hooking up usb" or anything. Maybe I did miss it in the instructions. Honestly I am so new that I could have easily overlooked such a detail, but I don't see anything in the user manual about how to program, so I kind of assumed it was similar to Arduino where you just plug in and set the right parameters. I think this is actually a hardware problem, there is no indication Linux/Windows even sees the device at all when plugged into a USB. I have never been prompted to install drivers of any sort, and Linux PnP doesn't seem to even note anything at all was plugged in.

Quote from: JohnS on September 05, 2014, 06:13:12 PM
Are you doing the right things with the buttons (this is RTFM or thereabouts)?

Might get more help on Pinguino's own forum BTW!

John

JohnS

The usual Linux things apply (udev, lsusb etc) and RTFM (& Pinguino site/forum/wiki).

(I'm worried now... at least read the doc on the wiki!)

John

raddude

I had some success. I was able to get the Pinguino OTG going with the latest Pinguino app from subversion on Ubuntu. I simply wasn't pressing the reset/user buttons correctly. I was unaware that you had to do that when powering up. I think it should be made more prominent on the Pinguino OTG page :) . I have only tested the blinking pde's so far. I will test the analog/adc next, as that's what I really want to use on the board. I do get a "USB reset" error after uploading the sketch but it still seems to work nonetheless. I also had to install libusb:i386 package on ubuntu 14.04 to get it to work. Hopefully this info might help other people in the future.

I am going to get a pickit3 and the olimex adapter kit so that I can do some experimentation in MPLab X as well.

JohnS

Doesn't have to be while powering on, can be on any reset.

It's a common technique on many boards.

John