LCD7TS PCB availability

Started by deskwizard, August 24, 2014, 06:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deskwizard

Good evening,
I was wondering if the PCB used by the LCD7TS was available separately, and if so, how much it could cost.

Thanks,
DW

dave-at-axon

You might get a better response of you email them direct to sales. I guess the real answer will be down to volume.

If you go no response on this you could make the boards yourself as the design is open source.

I assume that your LCD interface and connection is 100% the same as the LCD used by Olimex?

deskwizard

Good point about the email, though chances are thin, I only need one really
I thought about the open source part after I made this post, I will have a look at the eagle files tomorrow.

Yes, same hardware (at070tn90)

While I have you, I vaguely remember you switching to another LCD, I think you mentioned something about the first one having blurry text... Was the first one the olimex one? I'm asking since the olimex model isn't that much less expensive than the one you are using currently

Thanks,
DW

dave-at-axon

Yes, the new LCD appears sharper although not as sharp as the likes of a higher resolution version but certainly better than the A13-7".

I use the F07A-0102 from Fusion Technology. It has the capacitive touch panel bonded to the LCD.

deskwizard

What/how is the mounting look like on the fusion?
Kinda expensive for my taste, but it might end up being the only (and logical) choice

Edit: how was the search (if you did) for higher resolution panels

dave-at-axon

Below is an image of the PCB I designed to drive this display. The board is of 4 layer construction.

I found a 1024x600 display but anything above 800x480 is mainly LVDS type interface. I may be ordering one soon to try out but it will mean a brand new designed PCB for it :)

deskwizard

Wow Nice work!
Never done 4 layer myself...

Yes I have noticed the lvds tendency also... Figured that if I do a PCB, I might as well make it for a nice screen.

Too bad we can't use MIPI (AFAIK), there are some ridiculously cheap ones.

I'll msg you what I found for LCDs tomorrow, I've been looking around a bit (LVDS's)
It would be nice to find a model with the same size as the olimex model so I could use the LCD frame I bought from them.

DW

dave-at-axon

The Newhaven 7" capacitive display should work with the frame as the dimensions seem very close.

http://www.newhavendisplay.com/nhd70800480efatxvctp-p-6912.html

Again, this is only 800x480 but it might suit your needs better. The touch driver is included with Android and should be with Linux too and would just need the driver built into the kernel.

deskwizard

Interesting! Thanks for the tip! I quite like newhaven
I'll look into it when I wake up

DW

deskwizard

Well, I was thinking of getting an LVDS LCD and find a matching digitizer, but I have to get the damn GPS working first... I wish I was a programmer, at least I'd know what I'm doing... ! :P

DW

deskwizard

Dave,
I think I stumbled on the 1024x600 LCD you mentioned (marsboard?), though I *think* I have an idea.
I thought of mentioning it to you since I highly value your opinion.

If I say anything dumb, please correct me.

First of all, I need to go with a resistive screen in my case; according to Wikipedia, response in cold weather favors resistive versus capacitive touchscreen.

Which is nice since the A20 includes a resistive touch panel controller which solves one problem.

I was thinking, it doesn't matter if the digitizer is slightly bigger than the screen, since I can calibrate it according to the surface size I need, correct? (Were talking a couple of millimeters here, one made for at070tn83 instead of the at070tn90 olimex uses)

Because if so, I could use a 1280x800 panel with said digitizer and have something that almost fit the olimex frame (about 2.5mm bigger than the frame, dremel time!), and doesn't require much external circuitry besides maybe for the backlight PWM, since all control and backlight circuitry are using 3.3v / 5v, though dealing with LVDS might require a proper PCB.

One such display would be P/N claa070wp03 https://minidevs.googlecode.com/files/HD700-CLAA070WP03XG.pdf

Or perhaps hsd070pww1-b01
Let me know if than makes any since to you or if my lack of sleep and desire to have a display is getting the best of me.

DW

PS: that's a 55-ish$ solution BTW... :)