April 20, 2024, 09:47:28 AM

Cannot upload anymore

Started by Fiberspace, June 17, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiberspace

After uploading a couple of sketches to my Olimexino-328 it is now impossible to upload a new program.

I have 2 Olimexino's where I put the same sketch on last Sunday.

After that, I cannot upload anything to the board.

Remarkable:

- reset button on board does nothing
- can't upload the Blink sketch
- Error I get is: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

What I think is that the board is so busy that it's not listening to the bootloader anymore

I checked all my FTDI driver settings, working with version 2.4.6.0

Can I reset the board to its original state?
Can I communicate with the board in Serial?
How to replace the bootloader or reset it?

Lurch

You may have luck resetting and trying to catch it at startup.
If not, you will need something like this:
  https://www.olimex.com/Products/AVR/Programmers/AVR-ISP-MK2/open-source-hardware
You have to add the ICSP pins to the -328 board to program it with AVR-Studio and the programmer.
Welcome to the crowd ... I think everyone does this at the start.

LubOlimex

Hey Fiberspace,

Unfortunately this error is very common and might appear due to very big number of reasons. They might vary from simple ones like selecting the wrong board or COM port in the Arduino IDE to complex ones like wrong drivers, overwritten bootloader or burned processor pins.

Of course, malfunctioning shields or other hardware might have damaged the boards. I have burned boards when I have misaligned shields on them before (missing one pin when mounting them on top).

To lower the number of reasons I recommend you:

1. Double check if the proper board and COM port are selected. Ensure the board is visible in "Windows Device Manager" in LPT&COM port section.
2. When programming try with the simple blink example
3. Try a few times to hold and release the reset button on the board at the same time as you click upload in Arduino (sometimes the reset line causes such problems)
4. Test on another USB port/hub
5. Test on another computer with another USB-miniUSB cable

When the board is powered you might do a simple measure with a multimeter tool (if you have one) to check if there is hardware damage – use the power connector signals to measure – switch the tool to voltage measurement and place one electrode on PIN4 (GND) and the other first to PIN2 (3.3V) then to PIN3 (5V) of the same connector. The readings should show values close to 3.3V and 5V.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex