Android icons too big, app name cut off horizontally

Started by deskwizard, June 14, 2014, 03:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deskwizard

Good morning,

While I am on a post rampage, I might as well ask now...
I am having a (minor) issue with android, the icons are a bit too big, which makes the text under the icons (application name) being cut off horizontally.

Does anyone notice the same issue / have any idea how I could solve that?

Thanks for your time,
DW

deskwizard

dave-at-axon

Did you change the DPI setting?

I got this when I tried to use a smaller DPI.

deskwizard

I haven't touched the default DPI settings, but I will look into that.
Thanks a lot for the tip Dave, greatly appreciated.

DW

dave-at-axon

What resolution are you running? I was running on the 7" LCD at 800 x 480

It seems to be an issue with the application itself as other apps automatically adjust to suit. I've not had time to look at this myself as I changed to a better quality LCD and the issue of unreadable text disappeared so I switched back to the original setting of 120 in the olimex_a20.mk file but I had tried 160 and it does make the text bigger but for the issue you saw.

ro.sf.lcd_density=120

deskwizard

I'm currrently running HDMI @ 1080P

I did the opposite, my DPI setting was at 120 and I had this issue, changed it to 160 and it is perfect now
I will keep that in mind when I get my LCD.

Thanks again for your help Dave.

DW

** EDIT **
Changing the DPI setting does have the side effect of blocking some apps from the Play Store.
I thought I'd leave a note here for myself and any others that might have the same issue.
I vaguely remember working around this issue in my previous android experience with amlogic, but I can't remember how it was done if my life depended on it, iirc it was changing the device fingerprint in build.prop but dont trust me on that one