Android problems after BSP build for A20

Started by hankgong, April 17, 2014, 12:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hankgong

Hello there,

A few days ago, I have posted here asking for solution for my problem of Android BSP build.
https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=3058.0

It can boot into the Android system and it seemed fine to me. But I've got new problems when I was doing more test today.

1) No eth0 when I executed "netcfg"; but it can be seen when flashed with the official image from Olimex.

2) No USB debugging icon appeared in my build when plugging in the USB cable. Again, this icon shows on the official image.

3) When I clicked the app of "File Manager", directories are not shown... The preinstalled app UHD player even reports "No Storage" error and quits right away. But I can successfully mkdir or touch a new dir/file by using serial console.

To me, it's more like configuration problem of sys_config.fex. Here is my configuration. Hope someone here can give me some hints. Thanks in advance...

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/10937248

dave-at-axon

Quote from: hankgong on April 17, 2014, 12:58:37 AM
1) No eth0 when I executed "netcfg"; but it can be seen when flashed with the official image from Olimex.

The source that they provide and the image that is on the website are definitely not the same.

Did you enable this in the system?

If I recall right, I think I had to include Ethernet in the Linux Kernel as I think it's not included as standard.

2) No USB debugging icon appeared in my build when plugging in the USB cable. Again, this icon shows on the official image.

This was a pain for me at the start. The security setting for USB is ON by default. Look for this in the build properties.

ro.adb.secure=0

and make sure this is ZERO.

If you don't do this, each time you plug in the USB cable, you have to click on the dialog to enable USB debugging.

3) When I clicked the app of "File Manager", directories are not shown... The preinstalled app UHD player even reports "No Storage" error and quits right away. But I can successfully mkdir or touch a new dir/file by using serial console.

I am getting this right now and trying to fix it. If I put an SD card in the socket under the board I can see this as external SDCARD. I just can't see anything on the internal SDcard partition. It must be a configuration issue and I will work on this.

To me, it's more like configuration problem of sys_config.fex. Here is my configuration. Hope someone here can give me some hints. Thanks in advance...

hankgong

Quote from: dave-at-axon on April 17, 2014, 11:37:33 AM

The source that they provide and the image that is on the website are definitely not the same.

If I recall right, I think I had to include Ethernet in the Linux Kernel as I think it's not included as standard.

This was a pain for me at the start. The security setting for USB is ON by default. Look for this in the build properties.

ro.adb.secure=0

If you don't do this, each time you plug in the USB cable, you have to click on the dialog to enable USB debugging.

I am getting this right now and trying to fix it. If I put an SD card in the socket under the board I can see this as external SDCARD. I just can't see anything on the internal SDcard partition. It must be a configuration issue and I will work on this.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the prompt reply, and I'm very glad that you have come across the same issues, for I was worrying about that the workaround I did might cause the problems above. It's hard to understand why Olimex gave us the source packages like this.

Hank

hankgong

Quote from: dave-at-axon on April 17, 2014, 11:37:33 AM

ro.adb.secure=0

Let me update my status...

Yesterday I spent one day on this and I here confirm that the network and USB connection problems can be fixed by Dave's way. Just note that, after compile the kernel, you need to run "extract-bsp" to let the new kennel packed into system image, only command "pack" is not enough. It took me a few hours to figure out this, until I compared the detailed kernel information.

The third problem, which the SD card can't be read, is like the SDCard partion is not properly mounted. Here is the mount information after fully booted into Android of the official image.
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/secure tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=700 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/system /system ext4 ro,nodev,noatime,nobarrier,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/data /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,journal_checksum,nobarrier,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/cache /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,journal_checksum,nobarrier,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:1 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

And Android built by me will give me the following mount information.
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/secure tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=700 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/system /system ext4 ro,nodev,noatime,nobarrier,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/data /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,journal_checksum,nobarrier,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/cache /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,journal_checksum,nobarrier,noauto_da_alloc,data=ordered 0 0

Moreover, I noted that even the official Android from Olimex doesn't mount sdcard partition immediately after boot of the kernel, it seems to take a while to finish the mounting until the Android lock screen is shown. This is observed by repeatedly typing "mount" under serial console.

Hank