Linux compile kernel modules

Started by shug, April 14, 2014, 12:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shug

Hi all,
I have to compile a linux kernel module to use my wifi USB adapter (TP-Link TL-WDN3200 N600 based on RT5572). My problem is that kernel headers are not on the original SD card (pointing to /home/gogo) and I can't find them with the installed version (3.4.67+). I get the sunxi-linux files from github but with a more recent version (3.4.79+).
So where can I find files used to create the kernel used in the official sd card ?
Thanks !
xavier

N8body

I dont know where the Headers of 3.4.67 are,but whats the problem about compiling a whole new Kernel with 3.4.79? It took around 3h on my A20(Not Crosscompiling,right on the A20 itself) and works out of the Box. Just follow the Instructions on the Olimex Page. You dont need to have special Linux Skills for it.

shug

Thanks N8body !
I'm a little bit lost with u-boot. Do I need to get it and compile/install it or not ? Does it replace the grub or lilo bootloader under "pc" ?

MBR

When installing new kernel, U-Boot is much simpler than GRUB (or LiLo) - you just put the kernel image (named uImage, situated in arch/arm/boot) on the first VFAT partition. That's all, you don't have to run anything.