Howto enable FTDI serial port on a A10 running debian?

Started by sirionnetworks, February 24, 2014, 12:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirionnetworks

Hi, I would like to use my A10 as a pronterface printserver , but I don't know how to enable the serial port in debian ?

Even tried with an regular arduino
using lsusb I see the following

Bus 003 Device 009: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

how can I enable for example /dev/ttyUSB0 for this device ?

thanks..

progmetalbg

I suppose CDC-ACM support is not built in the kernel of the official Olimex Debian image.
I think you need the following modules:
----- USB Device Class drivers

CONFIG_USB_ACM=m
CONFIG_USP_PRINTER=m
CONFIG_USB_WDM=m

Check your kernel config with
zgrep -i acm /proc/config.gz
zgrep -i wdm /proc/config.gz

If they are not compiled as modules you have to recompile the kernel yourself or wait for Olimex to include them in their next image (and request so).

Edit:
Actually the instruction above is for connecting Arduino-like devices to your LIME.
If you need USB serial devices support check:
zgrep -i USB_SERIAL /proc/config.gz

loweherz

I'm newbbie to linux on arm and I've never recompiled a kernel. How do I add modules that you mentioned? I have to connect a usb to serial converter.

kostas

:)Hi, i'm a newbie too in both Linux and Olinuxino.
I've had posted a similar request on 26th Feb in A13 section (about Prolific USB/Serial), hopefully with no reply.
I "spent" these days to learn about Linux, i have had recompiled A13 Kernel several times and now i have a fine working card with all required peripherals. Not to mention i'm an old "dog" (58y) for new tricks.
In other words, if you are interested in these tiny computers you have to dig inside. There is excellent information and tutorials in Olinuxino framework.
In your case you may start with http://olimex.wordpress.com/2014/01/15/building-debian-linux-bootable-sd-card-with-hardware-accelerated-video-decoding-and-kernel-3-4-for-a10-olinuxino-lime/
On the other hand, if you just want a cheap hardware to setup a server or something, you better seek for a friend or a professional to do it for you.