A10 Lime freezes

Started by Carburo, February 23, 2014, 11:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carburo

Hi,
I've just bought the a10 lime, but I can't manage to make it working correctly.
I've installed the image of the Debian's first release and the only way to access my a10 is via ssh. I don't know what happens, but sometimes the board hangs when I submit the password. Actually I don't know if it's the board itself or just the network interface (the leds turn off). It always freezes when I try to use the command "apt-get update" or I try to install some package.
It's very strange, can anybody give me some advice?

Regards,
C.

soenke

Maybe a problem with your powersupply? Check if it has 5V and at least 1A. And check the voltage with a multimeter.

Lurch

Try the 'top' command and see how much memory you have and what cpu% is used.  At start up there were some screensavers running that eat up a lot.  Power - as mentioned above - is also something to check - 5v @ 1+A
You could also look at the df -h command to see how full the sdcard is - maybe some junk there?

Carburo

Hi,

unfortunately now I don't have a multimeter to check the voltage, but it should be fine because I'm using the Olimex power supply (Samsung). I also powered the board through my pc's usb and the result is the same. The free space on the sd card is enough (some GBs) and according to the top command, 99% of the cpu is in idle process.
One thing I forgot to mention: when the board freezes, it's not enough to switch it off and on, but I have to unplug and reconnect the ethernet cable if I want to access again.

Lurch

The USB port (also of a PC) is limited by design to 500mA.
That may be a little thin for the LIME.
Try a real power supply.

Carburo

I tried a different power supply and images but it still doesn't work.
I managed to make the board starting with the second version of the Debian image, but it freezes at soon as I try to connect via ssh. In the logs I found that the eth0 link went down.

[   26.379485] gpiochip_add: registered GPIOs 1 to 81 on device: A1X_GPIO
[   26.437712] [cedar dev]: install start!!!
[   26.448894] [cedar dev]: install end!!!
[   36.857773] sunxi_emac sunxi_emac.0: eth0: link down

Carburo

Tried with this image: https://romanrm.net/a10/debian
The ethernet port shows some activity, but I cannot access the board because it doesn't get an IP (even if i set it to static). It seems that the board didn't boot correctly (there are no logs and the script that i put in rc.local wasn't run).

Carburo

I've just tried to connect the board to a monitor: black screen  :(
It runs the second release of debian for Lime.

Carburo

New test with Linaro set with static ip: led on ethernet port blinks but I cannot ping the board.  :(