Olimex LCD modules - finger capable?

Started by codifies, February 17, 2014, 12:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codifies

I've had some resistive displays that have actually been sensitive enough to control an OS with just a finger... while others have felt like I should be driving a wooden stake through the LCD just to get a reaction!

While using a stylus isn't the end of the world I just wondered what peoples experiences with the touch sensitive screens sold by Olimex were...

dave-at-axon

Resistive is a real issue sometimes and depends on the driver and the underlying code if it can detect the force. Special IC's like the ADS7846 for example have a pressure register and I have used this to make sure a valid press was only accepted above a certain pressure.

I've actually found the resistive screen on the Olimex 7" to be quite good and it even handles milti-touch (2 fingers at least) and can do pinch and zoom.

If you need the sort of response you see on mobile phones and tablets, the only real option here is capactive. The downside is that it will only work with fingers or one of those special pens you can buy for tablets. Gloves just won't work. :)

I am working on a 7" one right now and may offer it for sale if it works. I need to write drivers for the touch as it uses a non standard format from the looks of it.

codifies

My Tablet (once I get some spare cash and LOL time) will be "real" Linux (as opposed to "fakey" Linux (Android) :o) - yes I'm being silly!) so I'm not terribly interested in pintch etc, as long as "clicking" buttons and menu's works without finger strain, the ability to use gloves here "up north" (UK) has to be a bonus!

As far as drivers go I've messed around with an Xorg touch driver on a Pandora while one of the 5 that went through my hands was working for long enough (I'm only half joking - I really did have 5 through my hands before I gave up...) Anyhow the long and short of it - find some example Xorg driver code and modify that - even if you're used to Xlib and they way it does things - Xorg drivers and fun probably wont be words you will be using in the same sentence...

dave-at-axon

I'm actually enjoying tinkering with the underlying Linux Android kernel and learning a little more every day about how it all goes together.

I know what you mean by gloves and up north as I hail from over the border, further up north! I've forgotten though what gloves feel like after being in the Far East for the last 9 years :) but I do design equipment for those in the colder climes.! :)

This is the LCD I am just starting to tinker with. Just putting the interface PCB together so won't be actual testing for about 3 weeks until the PCB is finished and manufactured. It's a much simpler LCD than the Olimex 7" as it has only a single 3.3V supply.

http://www.touchrev.com/products/fusion/7-inch/

I got one from Digi-key and it's a bit expensive from them but it's fine for development purposes.

BMK

@Dave-At-Axon
I see from your blog that you had success with this. Would you consider selling some boards or publishing the design?

dave-at-axon

I won't be publishing the design as it's for a commercial project but I would be happy to consider selling them.

I can work out a price for them, enough to cover the costs of the parts and a little beer money. :)

I can accept Paypal but note that the boards will ship from Indonesia so I'll need to get pricing for shipping.

I won't offer the LCD as by the time I import these and pay the duty, they get expensive for reselling. I'll just do the PCB with the little flex cable for the LCD connection as it will be cheap and stay under most countries DUTY limits.

I'll get some pricing in the next few days and let you know.

If any one who is interested could post here, I'll get an idea of how many I need to build.

oskaratk

Dave,

how sensitive compared to a Olimex 10" is your touch setup?
I may be interesting in some of the 7"

Oskar

dave-at-axon

Hi Oskar,

It's as sensitive as you find with a mobile phone or tablet with capacitive touch.

In fact, changing to this LCD has made operation of my design better as you get a positive touch from the touch inputs.

jess

Quote from: dave-at-axon on April 03, 2014, 05:04:30 AM
If any one who is interested could post here, I'll get an idea of how many I need to build.

Sign me in for qty: 4

Thanks,
John