A10 LIME suitable as a general web server?

Started by unaszplodrmann, January 10, 2014, 05:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unaszplodrmann

Hello,

I'm looking at buying an A10-OLinuXino-LIME to host a website for a small local business. Your boards are particularly attractive due to the LiPo backup option - I've run out of free sockets on my UPS! Although I have previously only used x86 gear such as the PC Engines ALIX, I'm guessing the A10 is capable enough to support a site that is likely to see only a very low volume of traffic. I'll be serving up dynamic content and handling mail for 2 or 3 mailboxes, so we're talking nginx, php-fpm, postfix, postgrey and maybe spammassassin, if needs be.

Are your OLinuXino boards appropriate for cases like this which require continual uptime?

If I buy one, do I need to purchase a power adapter too, or does the board ship with one?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. :)

progmetalbg

Hello,

Although I don't have A10-OLinuXino-LIME (I have A20-OLinuXino-MICRO) I think A10 is capable of delivering the needed processing power. My suggestion is to use a 2.5" HDD attached to the SATA port for the root FS, because the DBs will ruin the microSD card fast.

Power adapter is not included in the board package, you have to buy one (5V, at least 1A). Olimex sell such:
https://www.olimex.com/Products/Power/
Check the SY0612E and SY0612E-CHINA
If you attach a HDD or SSD to the board I think a minimum of 2A is required, or you may face instability or crashes during high load.

PS:
I don't have a battery and I'm experimenting with my board a lot and here is my uptime:
bobby@alarm:~$ uname -a
Linux alarm 3.4.75+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 24 15:47:01 EET 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux
bobby@alarm:~$ uptime
19:01:51 up 15 days, 20:20,  1 user,  load average: 0.06, 0.03, 0.05