Alternative SATA connector for OlinuXino boards

Started by ajeandet, December 24, 2013, 05:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajeandet

Hello all,

I've already few OlinuXino boards I'm very happy about the quality(HW and SW!), I wonder if I'm the only one who would prefer an internal SATA connector something like this http://www.molex.com/webdocs/datasheets/pdf/en-us/0470182000_PCB_RECEPTACLES.pdf for example. Because if we want to integrate the hard disk with the board in one box it's more convenient and some fixation holes could be added on the board for the disk.

Best regards,
Alexis.

rfk

Quote from: ajeandet on December 24, 2013, 05:12:27 PM
Hello all,

I've already few OlinuXino boards I'm very happy about the quality(HW and SW!), I wonder if I'm the only one who would prefer an internal SATA connector something like this http://www.molex.com/webdocs/datasheets/pdf/en-us/0470182000_PCB_RECEPTACLES.pdf for example. Because if we want to integrate the hard disk with the board in one box it's more convenient and some fixation holes could be added on the board for the disk.

Best regards,
Alexis.

+1 from me - for everything, but especially for the SATA connector!
( using the A20 board )
-- rfk

BMK

I'd be happy if the SATA connector was just somewhere else on the board. The edge where it is located is the side of the board that you would naturally butt up to the side of an enclosure, with holes for HDMI Eth0 ,USB etc. I solved this in a crude way by de-soldering the connector and soldering the SATA cable direct to the board. I will change the plug for a vertical one, something like MOLEX 67800-5025 for my next project.

I know I this is just a dev board but since it is a perfect 'ready to go' system many people will just want to make a simple enclosure that works without making their own boards. The position of the SATA connector makes this difficult.

cedric

Can the footprint of the connector be altered that both a vertical and a horizontal connector will fit?

Kind regards,
cedric