April 29, 2024, 10:26:06 AM

UEXT CAN bus module

Started by woodward, November 19, 2013, 10:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodward

The CAN bus is the bus used to communicate with cars, among other applications; all cars in the us since 1996 and all cars in the european union since 2001. There are a couple two chip SPI solutions out there, sub $5-$10 in parts. Unfortunately the current breakout boards that use these chips are 5v, but UEXT is 3.3v. There are 3.3v CAN chips, so the voltage shouldn't be a problem.

Currently I buy an arduino and a CAN bus shield and then connect to the olinuxino via serial, which is a mess. While the A20 does have CAN support, I think that the cleanest solution would be a UEXT CAN module, with SPI communication. Would love to buy from you guys!

KeesZagers

Hello,

I'm also very interested in a CAN solution for the A20 (please read my input on the A20 group of october 17th). However I would not advise to use 3.3 V components. The CAN controller ofcourse is no problem, but the transceiverchips for 3.3 Volts have some limitation for a reliable CANbus communication. A DC/DC converter on the board may be a solution.

farlane

If you would use this board : https://www.olimex.com/Products/Duino/STM32/OLIMEXINO-STM32 an connect it trhough a serial port you could at least skip one component in the chain.

woodward

Thank you. I will try that board out.