Lower cost replacement for PIC32-Pinguino-OTG

Started by ashton, November 07, 2013, 05:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashton

I have bought a PIC32-PINGUINO-OTG and developed a program that works. However, the board is too expensive and unnecessarily powerful to use in a product for sale. I'd like to downsize to another bought-out board that is cheap (1/4 the price ?) and has the minimum capability to run the code in real time BUT WITHOUT A LOT OF RE-DEVELOPMENT i.e. something that works with the same bootloader and similar library. Can anyone suggest what path I should take?
Thanks.

LubOlimex

Hey ashton,

It would depend on what your specific needs are. However, I highly recommend you to check what we have done with the same processor in another product named PIC32-PINGUINO-MICRO: https://www.olimex.com/Products/Duino/PIC32/PIC32-PINGUINO-MICRO/open-source-hardware. If you follow the path of redesigning the source files you might further remove the SD card connector if you don't need it. The ICSP connector is not needed for you also (you would probably program the board once before shipping which might be done by some header). You probably won't need the UEXT connector also. The user button and the two user LED are questionable too. Then when you have the modified design you should search for a company that would make it for your target price (usually in China).

About your target price - look at the official Pinguino boards - some of them have only basic functionality and might be cheaper.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

olimex

your target of 5 eur per board cost is very unrealistic http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductDetails.aspx?Category=PIC32MX440F256H just the PIC32 processor used in this board cost $6

ashton

Thanks to both of you. I realize the limitation of cost of BOM, but Olimex's volume buying power may bring costs down remarkably. BTW, I notice that the PIC32-PINGUINO-MX220 is less than half the cost of the -OTG, so that is a good part of the way down to 25%. I notice that the -MX220 runs at 1/2 the clock speed of the -OTG and some features are missing, but it probably has all that I need. Pardon my ignorance, but can you confirm that it runs with the same bootloader and program library, by and large, as the -OTG? I've also ordered an Arduino Nano for comparison, but it will probably take a lot of effort to convert to that host, effort that I'd like to devote to other pressing matters.
Thanks again.

JohnS

It's not exactly the same but a similar bootloader.  The chip has far less flash & RAM so be sure it is enough for you.

Without large volume buying I think you cannot hit your price.

John