No display on HDMI

Started by tigrou, November 05, 2013, 12:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigrou

Hello,

I have problems with my card A20 I just bought.

I installed the debian boot image that work well (access via serial).
But whe not have display on my hdmi monitor  :-[
This monitor work greet behind a Raspberry, so the hdmi and monitor are ok.

Is the HDMI is enabled automatically at startup ?

Thanks

LubOlimex

Hey tigrou,

Yes - HDMI should work out-of-the-box with the default image for the microSD card. It might be downloaded from here: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/A20-OLinuXino-MICRO#Linux. Instructions on how to write the image on the SD card might be seen here: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/A20-OLinuXino-MICRO#How_do_I_write_the_Linux_image_to_a_micro_SD_card_to_use_with_my_A20_board.3F

It would be also a nice idea to test if the HDMI out works with Android. Suitable SD card image for Android might be downloaded here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-bAEPML8fwlUFd5OHVOaFJIRmc/edit?usp=sharing. Note that the algorithm for writing this image to the SD card differs compared to Debian. Instructions are available here: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/A20-OLinuXino-MICRO#How_do_I_write_the_official_Android_image_to_a_micro_SD_card_for_my_A20_board.3F.

By the way does your monitor has a native HDMI support or you are using some sort of an adapter?

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

tigrou

Hello,
Thank you for the answer

I just installed the Android image on my SD card via PhoenixSuit without success.
On the RS232 I have
Starting kernel ...

[    0.786783] rtc_hw_init(416) err: set clksrc to external losc failed! rtc time will be wrong
[    0.796397] sunxi_rtc_gettime(34): err, losc_err_flag is 1
[    1.482753] sunxi_rtc_gettime(34): err, losc_err_flag is 1
[    1.488862] sunxi-rtc sunxi-rtc: hctosys: unable to read the hardware clock
[    3.100991] init: width = 800
[    3.104296] init: height = 480
[    3.107712] init: s.st_size = 1536000
[    3.502732] init: do_umount: /data
[    4.061649] init: do_umount: /cache
[    4.215319] init: dont need format /dev/block/UDISK
[    4.260003] init: do_umount: /databk
[    4.450856] init: cannot find '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh', disabling 'flash_recovery'
[    5.465351] i2c i2c-1: Invalid 7-bit I2C address 0x00
[    5.781101] android_usb: already disabled
[    5.787256] init: using deprecated syntax for specifying property 'sys.usb.config', use ${name} instead
[    5.799363] init: using deprecated syntax for specifying property 'sys.usb.config', use ${name} instead
[   11.046692] init: sys_prop: permission denied uid:1003  name:service.bootanim.exit
[   15.991738] sunxi_rtc_gettime(34): err, losc_err_flag is 1

But still nothing on the HDMI.

On my monitor I have an adapter between the HDMI plug and cable.
So I tried with my TV (Panasonic very recent hd model) and it is always the same: black screen  :'(
Perhaps the HDMI output is defective?

olimex

tigrou

This is a dvi to hdmi adaptator (who work with another products).

But same problem with a native hdmi product (full hd tv) :-X

olimex

re-flash the image and use native HDMI TV these adapters may not support the default resolution

tigrou

what is the default resolution ?

For example the Raspberry (who work) is in 1280 x 720

If you want, i can search the resolution supported by my TV ?

barish

Hi, I've (partly) got the same problem: My Eizo S2431W display (1900x1200 and DVI input) which works fine with a Raspberry Pi, doesn't work with the A20. On the other hand, my beamer (1280x800), which has native HDMI, works fine. I tried to change screen size to 1080p60 to make it work on the Eizo (which surely accepts different resolutions and 59Hz to 61Hz picture frequency), but still no luck.

What options are there to change the HDMI output of the A20? Can the Mali-400 produce higher resolutions, e.g. 1900x1200?
Thanks in advance for any hints.

progmetalbg

QuoteMy Eizo S2431W display (1900x1200 and DVI input) which works fine with a Raspberry Pi, doesn't work with the A20.
Try to create uEnv.txt file in /boot directory with the following contents:
extraargs=disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1280x720p60 hdmi.audio=EDID:0
and reboot the board. If it works you can specify a different resolution for disp.screen0_output_mode argument in uEnv.txt.

barish

Thanks progmetalbg, for your help, I just tried it, but unfortunately it doesn't change. What surprises me is that the Eizo doesn't give me an error screen (like "freq out of range"), it's just showing black (but with the illumination on, which I can just see on the corners when it switches from sleep mode), and furthermore I can't change the input to VGA (it's got an input selector button) nor can a do any screen adjustments, so the screen's electronic seems to be jammed.

ingie

Quote from: progmetalbg on February 13, 2014, 01:36:17 PM
QuoteMy Eizo S2431W display (1900x1200 and DVI input) which works fine with a Raspberry Pi, doesn't work with the A20.
Try to create uEnv.txt file in /boot directory with the following contents:
extraargs=disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1280x720p60 hdmi.audio=EDID:0
and reboot the board. If it works you can specify a different resolution for disp.screen0_output_mode argument in uEnv.txt.

just registered to say a big thanks for this post!!!

was trying for days to get my A10s working on an old Digimate DVI/VGA screen with an adaptor <- HDMI
i used 1024x768p60 where you'd stated 1280 etc.. as i know this screen is only 1024x768 max res...

awesome! thanks again.

ingie.

onefang

I'm having a similar problem.  Just got my A20-OLinuXino-MICRO-4GB today.  The debian image from the wiki works fine on the 10 inch LCD screen at 1024x600.  The only HDMI mode that works is 480p, all the others just show a black screen.  The monitor thinks it's got a signal though, otherwise I would see something else.  The monitor is a LG W2253TQ (DVI with HDCP), and works fine at it's native resolution of 1920x1080p at 60 Hz with everything else I plug into it via the same HDMI -> DVI cable (nVidia card in my tower, Mac Mini, and a PS3). 

The /boot/uEnv.txt trick didn't make any difference.  1080p60 still showed black, 480p still showed a proper screen.

I don't have a Windows machine to try PhoenixSuite to get Android onto an SD card, though an A13 board I was testing last week worked fine with the Android image dd'd onto a card.  Both the NAND Android and a dd'd copy of the Android image (onto an SD card) from the wiki show garbage on the LCD, and nothing on the HDMI.  I'll see if I can find a copy of a HDMI enabled Android image and try dd again.

onefang

Ah, uEnv.txt doesn't go into /boot, it goes into the root directory of the first partition, same place as script.bin and uImage.  Now I have Debian in 1920x1080 on HDMI.

Still can't get any useful display for Android on HDMI or LCD, and I tried that image posted earlier in this thread.

tlhingan

Tried using the change_display script in the /root folder of the debian image?

onefang

Quote from: tlhingan on July 19, 2014, 01:20:21 AM
Tried using the change_display script in the /root folder of the debian image?

Yes, that's how I was testing all the variations.  As I said, it wasn't working so well with my monitor.