AVR-JTAG-USB with ATMega324P

Started by golgor, October 31, 2013, 10:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golgor

Hello!

First of all I want to tell that I'm somewhat experienced with programming and regular electronics but totally new to micro controllers and how they work.

I'm having problems to get AVR-JTAG-USB to work properly, wondering if you can help me understand how it should work and what I'm doing wrong.

My setup:
I just bought a ATMega324P DIP-40, a Breadboard and a AVR-JTAG-USB. Some wires and power devices of course. I looked at the connection diagram of the JTag connections and I'm fairly sure I got it all correct. I follow the guide for installing AVR-JTAG-USB, but it seems the guide that is available is made for an older version of AVR Studio? From the pictures, first of all, it looks totally different. I'm using AVR Studio 6.1.

When I connect everything I get a red light at the AVR-JTAG-USB, I guess that means it is setup and got power.  I managed to find some dialog box called "Available tools" from "view->Available Atmel Tools". My gut tells me this is where I should add the programmer. From here though, I can only find STK500 as a tool.

Anyone familiar with AVR Studio 6.1 who can point me in the right direction? I tried to google and search this forum but didn't find anything. Everyone seems to be using an older version with totally different layout etc.

*Edit1
I notice that when I add a STK500 Tool to the same COM port and try to connect the red light on the AVR-JTAG-USB stops. So it seems it got connection through the USB.

Regards
Robert

LubOlimex

Hey Robert,

Unfortunately, ATJTAGICE design is not supported in AVR Studio 5 and Atmel Studio 6. This is mentioned in bold here:

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

golgor

Thanks for the answer LubOlimex. I tried to set up with Eclipse also and it didn't work but I noticed that the "AVR-JTAG-USB" emulates JTAGICE MKI and the standard MK1 does not support my MCU. My mistake when I bought it. I actually made it work so the JTAG identified my chip, but I couldn't program it. I will buy new hardware and give it a new try the following week!

LubOlimex

Hey golgor,

You can use AVR Studio 4 (AVR Studio 4.19) just fine. It is available for download here: http://www.atmel.com/tools/STUDIOARCHIVE.aspx.

It should work with ATMega324P.

I don't think this JTAG would work in Atmel Studio 6 but note that in Atmel Studio 6 a lot of processors are not listed in the menus but there is support for them. Some target microcontrollers lack ready configuration files in the stock versions of Atmel Studio 6. You might need to add such manually follow the pattern of the already existing .xml files located by default in C:\Program Files (x86)\Atmel\Atmel Studio 6.x\tools.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

golgor

Hey, thanks for the help. But as I read that the programmer I bought doesn't support the MCU I have I actually bought a new MCU. I got it working in a couple of minutes. Right now my LED is blinking like mad! :)
I also bought a PTC and some small SMT buttons I will use, trying to get temperature reading and input output to work.

Got it all running with AVRDude and Eclipse.