New to the game of SBC's

Started by BayaHund, October 14, 2013, 04:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BayaHund

Hi everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself to the Olimex community. I just recently purchased the A13 board since I'd like to understand computers a bit better. Where is a good entry-point for starting to understand what different parts on a singleboard computer do and how they work? Also some basics in electro-technics might help as I don't fully understand the whole issues around transistors, capacitors, measurement units like ohms and amps etc. I am not completely unknowledgeable as I have been building my own PC desktop computers for quite a time. The singleboard computer sphere though brings my knowledgebase to it's limits if I want to properly create something with it.

For the start I wanted to build a simple device with a touchscreen and four audio outputs where you could connect 4 headphones at the same time, while running a simple OS that plays back some .wav, .flac, or .mp3 files with some simple but nice equalizer visualization. Obviously the power output of the A13 won't be enough so I think of incorporating some Behringer MicroAMP. Well any suggestions and links to interesting communities would help!

Thank you :)

JohnS

This is fairly bleeding edge board, semi-documented chip.  You'd find many more tutorials for commoner, simpler boards such as 8-bit or 16-bit PICs or Arduino.  Even RPi.  Come back to this board when you've learned the basics in every area you listed.

John