MOD-IO out of the box, does not work ?

Started by Sharky, October 24, 2012, 10:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharky

Hello, I just received a DuinomiteMega board and MOD-IO board. The Duinomite MEGA (version D)seems to work (USB conection). I use MMIDE.exe to test IO and enter basic programs. The connected MOD-IO board Rev.A (connected through UEXT port) and powered by an external 7.5V adapter does nothing :(  The supplied example programs on the Olimex site do run on the MEGA board, but there is no action on the MOD-IO board. (does not matter which address I use &h58/5a/60.  In fact, powering on the board while pressing the BUT button on the board (to reset it), does not make any led blink... Is there any firmware or so, that needs te be loaded on the MOD-IO board and how would I do that ? Anyone with the same experiance and with an idea what to do to get it working ?

olimex

MOD-IO need 12VDC to operate correctly, why do you apply 7.5VDC which is under the lower 8V edge?
If MOD-IO is powered correctly and have latest firmware the yellow LED on it should start blink with 1Hz.

Sharky

Well thanks, that was an obvious mistake on my part, sadly with a 12V adapter the symptoms are not any different.
Starting with a disconnected board. Pressing the BUT button and then connecting the 12VDC (+)-. The red power light comes on straight away but the STAT led does not, ever.
But the second part of your reply sounds promising:
How would I know that the latest firmware  is on ?
And if it's not, any suggestions on how I can get it on..(sounds differentlty than I ment ;D )

olimex

if you apply 12V not pressing any buttons at startup your red button should light on and the yellow to blink
then you have working firmware, if the yellow led do not blink your board may have no firmware inside
you can use any AVR programmer to program the firmware from the product web page

exandro

Well I got my MOD-IO and it seems to have the same problem, I tried the firmware on the site, the precompiled .elf and even compiled the code to .hex, but still nothing, I´m uploading the firmware through avrdude using an arduino as ISP, and got no errors on the uploading (I´m forcing the atmega16 [m16] config as there is no atmega16l config on avrdude).

But still I get no stat led light neither can I find the MOD-IO on i2cdetect from 0 to 2 (using A13-wifi).

=(

agcr

Hi,

My MOD-IO2 also didn't work out of the box.
No LED turns on...
What can I do to make it work?

TheWylieStCoyote

I bought a MOD-IO about 8 months ago and have been having the same problem. I am using it with a OLinuXino-MAXI. I have tried re-flashed the firmware with no success. Some times I flashes with out problem but when I try and use the board and still doesn't work. Maybe this is a problem with the AVR on the board? I am just about to the point of just replacing the micro and starting over. Is there some thing else this could be?

exandro

I just got my MOD-IO to work, I did everything from scratch: installed AVR Studio 4, recompiled the firmware from the source, flashed the MOD-IO (hex eeprom and fuses) this time with a Bus Pirate (firmware 5.10) in AVRDude (from the AVR Studio 4).

Now the yellow led flashes as expected (1hz), and I just tested the android apk and everything seems to be working fine  ;D.

Don't know what did the trick, the bus pirate instead of the arduino as ISP, or the recompiled hex in AVR Studio 4 instead of 5 or 6, but I remember reading the MOD-IO's fuses as 0x89 for high, and 0xCB (instead of 0xCF) for low the first time before I even started trying to flash the firmware at all.

TheWylieStCoyote

I have just tryed what you mentioned with a USBTINY, bus pirate, and a arduino and writing the fuse bits first. It seems to write and verify with out problem but never functions and no flashing LED. I think I am to the point of just buying another Atmega16 and soldering it on. There isn't anything else I can think of other then It being the micro. Maybe I wrote the wrong fuse at some point or some thing but it seems to be died with no sign of reviving it.