JTAG-Tiny installation hanging XP

Started by andrewmcl, August 24, 2013, 05:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewmcl

After about 6 or so months of not being used (other projects!), I'm just getting my JTAG-TINY back to life. This had previously all been running fine, but the XP machine I'm using has since had a rebuild, so needed to reinstall the drivers. I've tried a number of times, but each time the installation has frozen the PC and required a reboot.

Initially I was using the earlier 1.038 drivers I had previously been using. I've tried these, and also upgraded to the latest drivers here (2.007), but with the same result. To install these I've been simply plugging in the JTAG, letting XP advise that it needs the drivers, and pointing these at the location where these are stored. In every case, it shows SiLib.sys being copied when it freezes. At this point I haven't found any way to communicate with the machine at all - everything seems to be totally frozen - and the only way out seems a restart.

Any ideas?

Andrew

LubOlimex

Hey Andrew,

Do you own a MSP430-JTAG-TINY or MSP430-JTAG-TINY-V2?

In the first case the latest (and last) firmware for your device is version 1.0.4.2!

In the second case the latest firmware is 2.0.0.7.

The initial version MSP430-JTAG-TINY will not work with 2.0.0.7 firmware/drivers. The package you should use would be this one: https://www.olimex.com/Products/MSP430/JTAG/_resources/MSP_PROG_GUI_1.3.0.4_CLI_2.0.1.2_DLL_1.0.4.2.zip.

What IDE/software are you using?

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

andrewmcl

Its the original JTAG-TINY. I use the mspgcc toolkit, but run via the Eclipse, primarily for the debugger. This is connected to the JTAG via mspdebug (this was previously how it all was working, but haven't come close this time).

I've installed the Olimex debugger package via the attached link, and this all went well. However, once I plug the JTAG in, I'm back in the same cycle as previously. Windows asks for the drivers, I point it at the driver location (in the installed directory this time), and XP promptly hangs, with the last advice being that it is copying SiLib.sys?

I'm a bit lost at this point!

Andrew

LubOlimex

Hey Andrew,

Few old sources found on the web suggest that you should try to start Windows in Safe Mode and then install the drivers. Then restart and go to normal mode again.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

andrewmcl

I've just been and rebuilt the whole machine from scratch, and the JTAG drivers now install without any problems. Obviously some conflict there somewhere, but everything was getting a bit messy so about time for this.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew