[SOLVED] Problem running olimex debian image R3 for A20 - unstable with eth0

Started by jeanyves, September 15, 2013, 10:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeanyves

in August 2013, I bought two A20 boards and a preinstalled debian SD card

I was never able to run properly this board with an HDMI monitor + usb/keyboard mouse with the initial SD card. I tried with debian R2, it was still hectic, I was never able to login because of some tty name error.

I just tried with olimex debian R3 (A20 Debian 4GB SD-card image release-3), which I downloaded from the wiki (https://www.olimex.com/wiki/A20-OLinuXino-MICRO).
It is better but still unstable.

Without Ethernet cable, It boots properly (2 penguins on display then prompt for login). I succeed to login (root/olimex). I even can "startx".

If I try with a plugged ethernet cable it doesn't work (it doesn't boot).

I changed /etc/network/interfaces for dhcp on eth0.

I can boot the card (without plugged internet wire). I then plug the cable, do a ifdown eth0 followed with a ifup eth0. I get an Ip address.

I can ssh to the board from another computer, so it seems the ethernet connection works.

Problem is that very quiclky (for example if I try an apt-get update), the screen goes black, the remote connection is lost.

Is this normal ? What other things am I supposed to do to expect a stable configuration ?

Nota: my final purpose is to use the board with xbmc and later, use the GPIO for some relay control (light, external device power on/off).

jeanyves

thanks for paying attention

I use a DC 12V  1.6A

Is it not enough ?

Update: I check more carefully (my various power supply were a bit messy ...), the board was connected to a 100mA power supply

@progmetalbg : Thanks a lot for pointing !