Unofficial Arch Linux ARM image for A20-OLinuXino-MICRO

Started by progmetalbg, September 12, 2013, 04:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnS

How?

Many details have been posted but few from you.

John

xanb

Quote from: JohnS on November 24, 2014, 02:33:00 PM
How?

Many details have been posted but few from you.

John
Dead road. No constructive answer to my problems. I try to find the solutions.... If I can't see them, can you point where there are and just to say that there are.

JohnS

To me you need to follow previous ideas more than you have and see why things don't work or do what you want.  No-one else probably wants exactly what you do so you have to find how to make what you want or else adopt what others want.

These are dev boards and you're doing bleeding edge stuff...

If you don't want grief, go with something that's known to work.

John

MBR

Quote from: Aaron on March 29, 2014, 11:03:39 PM
I also tryed to configure the ethernet card by typing on the terminal the following command:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.4 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Unfortunatly doesn't work.

You have to se the default route to your gateway, i.e. your router. For example, if you router has IP adress 192.168.1.1 (and very probably has), you must type also:

route add default gw 192.168.1.1

And unless you have your nameservers preconfigured, you need also to set them. If your router works as DNS relay, you can try

echo "nameserver 192.168.1.1" > /etc/resolv.conf

Or you can use a Googles's public nameserver with easy-to-remeber IP adress 8.8.8.8:

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf

sanzoghenzo

hi all,
just tried the method posted by progmetalbg for running the cubieboard image on olinuxino, but I cannot find any new machine on the dhcp list of my router. I cannot see anything from hdmi, either. Should I see something? or maybe on the VGA port? how's u-boot configured in that one?
is it correct that uEnv.txt is blank?

progmetalbg

It is hard to troubleshoot without USB Serial cable like this one sold by Olimex: https://www.olimex.com/Products/Components/Cables/USB-Serial-Cable/USB-Serial-Cable-F/
Do other Linux images provided by Olimex or other users boot on your board?
At least xanb reported that this method for creating bootable uSD card with Arch Linux ARM works for him.
uEnv.txt can be blank, it is not a problem.

sanzoghenzo

Hi progmetalbg, thanks for your answer.
I used the debian distribution without problems in the past (but the image was too big to fit in a 4GB uSD, the only one that I have around now, and I prefer using arch linux).

I have some minimus AVR's lying around, I should be able to turn one of them in a usb to serial device. Then I'll come back with some useful information ;)

EDIT: nevermind, I got it working! I followed the steps again and everything went well. I think the last time I lost some steps at the end, maybe u-boot was not installed correctly. Thanks again!

Zail

Hello,
can i use this guide to install arch linux on a20-lime? If i understand it well, i need to change version of uboot - but i cant find a20-lime version of u-boot.

Thx for help.

sanzoghenzo

I'm using the weekend to set up a streaming server with mopidy, so I can hook up my olinuxino to the speakers and control it via my laptop/smartphone. but alsa cannot detect any soundcard.

Is there an audio driver in the kernel? how is it called?

progmetalbg

I don't have experience with sound on A20-OLinuXino, but you can check this wiki page http://linux-sunxi.org/Sound. If you don't find solution for your problem you can ask also in Arch Linux ARM forum http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

sanzoghenzo

Quote from: progmetalbg on December 20, 2014, 01:30:34 PM
I don't have experience with sound on A20-OLinuXino, but you can check this wiki page http://linux-sunxi.org/Sound. If you don't find solution for your problem you can ask also in Arch Linux ARM forum http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

thanks for the quick response.
I always forget to add the user to the audio group. Audio is fine now!
listening to spotify (premium) from olinuxino and controlling it on my android :)

sanzoghenzo

Hey there, I'm back!
I'm running succesfully arch on my olinuxino for some days, but now I want to change some things in my script.bin.
I've grabbed this fex file and edited it a bit, then ran fex2bin and used the same dd command of the cubieboard guide to write it on the first part of the SD, but at reboot I got to the same state I was the first time I asked for help (basically olinuxino doesn't find the script.bin and doesn't output anything, even via serial interface).

So I tried to run bin2fex using the script.bin of the guide (the olinuxino one), but I get the following:
# bin2fex u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin script.fex
fexc-bin: u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin: version: 1313818469.810828334.1334599999
fexc-bin: u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin: size: 264252 (-369098746 sections)
E: fexc-bin: Malformed data: version 1313818469.810828334.1334599999.

do you have any hint to successfully edit the bin file?

Thanks for the attention!

progmetalbg

Hi sanzoghenzo,
Correct commands are:
$ bin2fex script.bin script.fex
$ fex2bin script.fex script.bin

U-boot binary u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin is different than script.bin
In /boot you should have:

• uImage - Linux kernel
  • u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin - compiled u-boot
  • script.bin - binary version of script.fex
  • uEnv.txt or boot.scr - not really needed but useful for specifying additional kernel parameters at boot.