Some questions regarding a MOD-ZIGBEE-based sensor network

Started by momu, August 12, 2013, 12:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

momu

Hi there,

I am thinking of a wireless network to monitor the temperature at home in different places and draw nice graphs to view.

To start, I thought of an MOD-ZIGBEE module as standalone sensor (enddevice) and a MOD-ZIGBEE-UEXT as coordinator attached to either a OLinuXino iMX233, A10, A13 or A20 with a Debian running on it.

If a module is a coordinator or a enddevice depends just on the firmware. There is a demo firmware for the enddevice and one for the coordinator. With these demos the wireless connection works right away.

My understanding is that I can read the transmitted temperature which the coordinator receives easily via the serial interface (like in this example https://github.com/OLIMEX/OLINUXINO/tree/master/SOFTWARE/iMX233/MOD-ZIGBEE) from the coordinator.

But when I want to change the wireless protocol or the sample rate I have to change the firmware of the MOD-ZIGBEE modules. Therefore I need a dedicated PIC programmer like the original PICKIT3 or the PIC-KIT3 from Olimex?

Am I right with my understanding?
And does anybody has an better idea to achieve this (aka cheaper or without the need of a PIC programmer)?
Does my idea sound like it would work?

Momu

XFer

LubOlimex

Hey guys,

QuoteBut when I want to change the wireless protocol or the sample rate I have to change the firmware of the MOD-ZIGBEE modules. Therefore I need a dedicated PIC programmer like the original PICKIT3 or the PIC-KIT3 from Olimex?

Am I right with my understanding?
And does anybody has an better idea to achieve this (aka cheaper or without the need of a PIC programmer)?
Does my idea sound like it would work?

You are correct. You need a PIC18 compatible debugger/programmer to adjust the firmware. Note that if you purchase Olimex PIC-KIT3 you would also need the small adapter board: PIC-ICSP (https://www.olimex.com/Products/PIC/Programmers/PIC-ICSP/) for the small ICSP connector. A fair amount of PIC experience would help immensely too.

It seems accomplish-able project.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex