March 29, 2024, 01:46:42 PM

We need plastic boxes !

Started by dsant, August 07, 2013, 10:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsant

Even if you ask another company to produce them, we need plastic boxes ! Please propose them in the shop, one board => its good size box to add ( $ $ ) to the basket, even 5$-15$.
You can't build set-top-box or home automation without plastic box  :'(

XFer

PaceyIV

olimex

hear hear :)
for the old boards is pretty impossible to fin box but we will take into consideration for the new ones

Bert

I agree.

In my project (animatronic fursuit head) the humidity was one of main problem. The humidity was source of a parasitic capacitance in RAM circuitry (I suppose) which caused spontaneous rebooting.

neslekkim

3d print something?
Something around these lines will help protecting it, I don't need full enclosure, but something to keep it safe:

http://instagram.com/p/eph3lVjOna/

Luckily the A20 board have the mounting holes aligned to an 10x10mm grid, so I coudl attach it to an Taymia plate like this:
http://instagram.com/p/e2drtdjOgC/
But that doesnt work for the other boards, like Pingduino-otg and some other pic protoboard I have, sadly..

bsiege

+1

The A10-OLinuXino-LIME with its LIME Box seems to be a good start...

rfk

Hi,

sorry for reviving this thread - but the "box" is a real issue. The A20 is simply great for my purpose, the A20 LIME I expect to be even better.

However, the "box" is an issue:

• the SATA connector can't be hidden. A connector - to me it seems - is there to plug and unplug (at least, this is what I experienced, doing a demo with one of my A20 boards  :o )
  • currently using a standard box (double eurocard size) to mount the A20 board, a disk, MOD-RTC and an Arduino controller (SPI and analog inputs) plus cabling ... the box is already somewhat crowded.
Most likely I will not need hundreds (unfortunately) but something like 20, maybe even 50. That's definitely too much for hand crafting but also too few to get a custom case.
For the same reason, I most likely will stay with MOD-RTC, Arduino ....

It's less an idea for a new product, more a question - as mentioned in previous posts:
Can Olimex think about a case, that allows to add a daughter board, provide some means of hiding SATA from the front panel (or backpanel).
Maybe, your engineers even can think about a daughter board that implements features like MOD-RTC, a small version of the UEXTx5 and a small controller (like an Arduino or PIC or ST or ...)

-- rfk

dave-at-axon

Quote from: rfk on March 16, 2014, 11:06:00 PM
Most likely I will not need hundreds (unfortunately) but something like 20, maybe even 50. That's definitely too much for hand crafting but also too few to get a custom case.

It's maybe not the cheapest solution as it will depend on your budget but I use a combination of Schaeffer-Ag to create the metal panels and Shapeways to print the 3D body part. This is a design I did for a client where I need external access to the A20 connections. Internally there is a battery and a custom PCB for analog and an AC-DC power supply and then there is the 7" LCD on the front so this is quite large. You basically end up with a professional looking design this way. Hand cut panels just don't cut it these days :)

rfk

Quote from: dave-at-axon on March 17, 2014, 03:31:41 AM

Hand cut panels just don't cut it these days :)

... how true !
Thanks for the idea - going to learn a new trick.
Shapeways may not be suitable for a first try, so looking for Printshops Europe - lets see ...
-- rfk