USB keyboard not working

Started by kgolding, June 27, 2013, 03:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgolding

Hello,

I've tried two different USB keyboards on two different A10S boards, and neither work. However, if I plug an hub into the boards and then plug either keyboard into the hub they both work. My USB hub is unpowered so it's not a power issue (I think)?

Not a problem for me as ssh rules, but might be a gotcha for others!

Kevin

LubOlimex

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for this notice. We haven't had such a problem so far. Can anyone confirm such a problem with his keyboard?

On a side note does this happen under Debian or Android or under both?

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

kgolding

On Debian the keyboard doesn't work at all.

On Android some keys work, the arrows for sure, but the enter key didn't - but I haven't tested Android with the USB hub though.

martinayotte

I've just received my A10s, and I have the same problem :

Booting Debian microSD goes up to login screen, but neither mouse or keyboard seems to be powered thru the USB.
But if I boot the Android microSD, the mouse is working and the keyboard caplock lightup (although Android doesn't seem to listen to keys)

olimex

Allwinner USB host is HIGH speed only, so you can't connect keyboard and mouse to it
the USB-OTG though support LOW speed and keyboards and mouses can be connected, but you will need mini USB to USB A female connector to may attach keybard
work around is to connect hub between A10S host and your slow devices

martinayotte

I have an usb hub to be able to both keyboard and mouse, but it is probably a low speed hub, since it is a cheap one from China. But if USB host is High speed only, do you mean USB2 or USB3 ? why the mouse is working fine under Android?
Should I purchase other kind of hub to see if it works better ?
(The one I have from China is USB2 7 ports)

HeHoPMaJIeH

Quote from: martinayotte on July 03, 2013, 12:35:21 AM
I have an usb hub to be able to both keyboard and mouse, but it is probably a low speed hub, since it is a cheap one from China. But if USB host is High speed only, do you mean USB2 or USB3 ? why the mouse is working fine under Android?
Should I purchase other kind of hub to see if it works better ?
(The one I have from China is USB2 7 ports)
Hi, can you connect your a10s with USB to your computer with adb /android SDK tools/ ?

martinayotte

As I said, mouse is working fine under Android, but I would like to use Debian with mouse and keyboard, for now I have only access to SSH. I can't login into the X11 login page without a keyboard running. I presume it is mistakingly disabled in the default Debian microSD purchased, I will try a new microSD with latest image from Wiki soon.

Thanks,

axilos

Hello,

I also cannot use USB keyboard.
When I connect keyboard and start A10s with Debian or Android keyboard doesn't work. USB mouse work in Android. In Debian I get into log-in screen but without keyboard I cannot log in.

Is there something what I need to done to make it work?

XFer

Try connecting your keyboard not directly to the on-board USB port, but through a USB hub instead.

Sjef

Hi,

I've the same issue. Inserted Debian SD card into slot, connected HDMI monitor, USB 2.0 Hub with keyboard and mouse and no-go. The power LED on the hub is on, but the mouse and keyboard do not seem to be powered at all. Of course, with the hub in the laptop the same mouse and keyboard work 100%.

How to solve this issue? I expected that the board would work with a keyboard and a mouse when connected through a hub. But it does not. Could it be defective?

Edit: It's no defect, I just needed to re-boot the board.

awallin

Yep, I can also confirm that neither mouse nor keyboard works when plugged in directly, but start working when plugged in through a USB-hub. I'm using the latest Debian image from olimex.

This should definitely go in the FAQ on the wiki (I'd add it myself, but the wiki isn't editable..)

Anders

LubOlimex

Hey awallin,

I added it to the FAQ for now (hope I don't forget to remove it if it gets fixed in the firmware).

If you wish to contribute to the wiki please email info@olimex.com for an editor account.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

empedokles

What's the point in selling a device that won't work with a keyboard?

yoann_q

appart of this minor problem (Hub needed to connect a keyboard) and i understand the HW problem , but i think there is another problem the A10S board
- the keyboard works when i boot on the NAND android image or on Debian (SDCARD)
- the same keyboard doesn't works with SDCARD android image ,
in all case the keyboard is recognized by linux (console message)
i can't identify the source of the problem, may be different android configuration ?
thanks in advance