Seeedstudio Grove

Started by empedokles, April 26, 2013, 09:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empedokles

JohnS

What is it?  The wiki does not explain well.

It looks like you could (perhaps/probably) connect (some of?) the items electrically but then what?  The A13 boards run Linux so you need software...

John

empedokles

Hello

They are modules that can be swapped in the grove shield (without having any knowledge of electronics):
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/base-shield-v13-p-1378.html?cPath=132_134

The grove base shield goes on an arduino uno normally.

JohnS

Remember you'll need software which you should plan to write.

Mostly the A13 boards don't have compatible connectors.

Those grove things don't look cheap.

John

empedokles

So there is no possibility to hook up the base shield?

Yes, all not cheap. Here and there.

jeroends

technicaly there's no problem to hook those modules up on the a13, but there's a small bit of interfacing to do.
The i2c (iic) modules are configured to be used on a 5v system but the a13 is a 3v3 system. No problem if you know a small bit of electronics. Ie. a convertor like http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/mosfet-voltage-level-converter is needed (a quick google search will help you further).

The other modules are simple i/o based. The biggest work will be the connectors, you can use the base board for the arduino, but you'll have to make a pcb that will fit it and have the connectors to the a13 on it (maybe a suggestion for future products?).

empedokles

Are there any plans to sell such a converter and a pcb to adopt the base shield of them?
So far I seem better of to buy me an arduino in order to gain some knowledge of electronics.

JohnS

Why not buy cheaper modules that don't require that way?  Loads on the web.

Or use breadboard.

If you're a real beginner, might be better to get a 5V system (CPU etc) as wrong voltages kill things.

John

empedokles

Do you have an example of such modules?

Is there any linux-system that uses 5V, or do you mean Ardiuno?

BJFreeman

U can make a conversion cable from the Uext connector to the Grove Item
you will need to code this for the A13. look at the A13 github for sample code for devices that use the Uext connector.
Feel free to contribute if you do decide to code these.
Fulltimer since 89

Lioric

The trend is to move to 1.8v, and most if not all of the high performance boards and IC's are 1.8v already, so you might want to start learning about level shifting now

It seems that what you need is a "low power linux single board pc with shields" check out the UDOO, its a dual or quad core I.MX 6 based board with an "arduino due" (a SAM3X8E ic) within its pcb, and has arduino compatible headers, so you can simply put arduino shields and work with linux. (Think of an really high performance Olinuxino with arduino compatibility)

About the modules from that link, probably most of them can work directly, without buffers or level shifters or anything else, see the schematics and datasheets to identify if they output 5v (in which case a simple resistor divider might get you started in no time), and see if the input pins have a logic high of at least ~3v (then simply connect to your output pins). For I2C, if they have pullups to 5v, simply cut the traces and add 3.3v pullups, and power them with the 5 vdd from usb or whatever you are using

empedokles

Thank you for the hint. The UDOO looks too expensive (also I'm not keen on waiting till September).

The problem is: This modules all go over this base shield.