Beginner - building the Kernel

Started by zaquadnik, October 06, 2012, 03:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaquadnik

Hi.
I try to build Linux kernel as desribed in the iMC233-OLinuxIno manual. When I try to run menuconfig as desribed:
~/fsl-community-bsp$:. ./setup-environment build
~/fsl-community-bsp/build$:bitbake linux-imx -c menuconfig

And i receive following error:
NOTE: Running task 255 of 255 (ID: 4, /home/freescale/fsl-community-bsp/sources/meta-fsl-arm/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-imx_2.6.35.3.bb, do_menuconfig)
NOTE: package linux-imx-2.6.35.3-r40.9: task do_menuconfig: Started
ERROR: Unable to spawn terminal auto: Execution of 'gnome-terminal --disable-factory -t "linux-imx Configuration" -x make menuconfig' failed with exit code 1:
No protocol specified
Failed to parse arguments: Cannot open display:

ERROR: Function failed: do_menuconfig
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/freescale/fsl-community-bsp/build/tmp/work/imx53qsb-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-imx-2.6.35.3-r40.9/temp/log.do_menuconfig.1548
NOTE: package linux-imx-2.6.35.3-r40.9: task do_menuconfig: Failed
ERROR: Task 4 (/home/freescale/fsl-community-bsp/sources/meta-fsl-arm/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-imx_2.6.35.3.bb, do_menuconfig) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 255 tasks of which 254 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
  /home/freescale/fsl-community-bsp/sources/meta-fsl-arm/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-imx_2.6.35.3.bb, do_menuconfig
Summary: There were 2 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code.

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 with kernel 2.6.32-43-generic. What can be wrong? Anyone had maybe similar experiences ?

Kean

The error "Cannot open display" and failure to execute "gnome-terminal" indicate that you are either not running in an X environment, or have something else stopping another terminal session being started.

So, are you logged into the Ubuntu machine via a graphical session ?

Kean

zaquadnik

Yes, I have X session started, but for different user. Than I open terminal and switch user with su command. Maybe this is an issue.

Kean

OK, sounds like permissions then.
I don't use X much, but from memory I think you might need to use "xhost" command.

zaquadnik

Yup, the issue was the permissions. Strange, normally menuconfig is launched in the same terminal window, without launching another window.