PIC32-T795 Pinguino bootloader and power supply

Started by browncoat, March 23, 2013, 06:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browncoat

Hi!

I'm thinking about using a PIC32-T795 in a project, because it has a lot of pins and USB-OTG, but I have two questions for which I was unable to find answers in the manual.

1) What is the easiest/most convenient way to get the Pinguino bootloader onto the T795?

2) How do I power it when the USB is not connected as a device? I guess through the two SUPPLY lines? So I would have to make sure it's 3.3V myself? Would a connected USB device be a large drain on the power?

Thanks

LubOlimex

Hey browncoat,

1) What is the easiest/most convenient way to get the Pinguino bootloader onto the T795?

Using a PIC32 debugger/programmer is the only way. It is important that you notice the ICSP connector on T795 - it is the one with 0.1'' step.

We have a PIC-KIT3 debugger/programmer compatible with T795 - you can find it here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/PIC/Programmers/PIC-KIT3/.

2) How do I power it when the USB is not connected as a device? I guess through the two SUPPLY lines? So I would have to make sure it's 3.3V myself? Would a connected USB device be a large drain on the power?

It is recommended to use 5V_EXT pin (this is after pin 45, 3.3V and GND). Providing 5V from that pin will be the same as powering from the usb. You can also power it from SUPPLY1 or SUPPLY2 lines BUT you will have to make sure it is 3.3V yourself. The difference is that these 3.3V would go directly to the processor while the 5V from the USB or the 5V_EXT pin would pass through a voltage regulator that would make it 3.3V.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex