EEG-SMT No Data and Driver Install Problem

Started by Goldenspark, November 14, 2013, 10:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldenspark

So I received an EEG-SMT yesterday and eagerly plugged it in. Followed all the instructions but have now bumped up against the FTDI driver issue.
With the latest drivers Brainbay and Electric Guru just show no activity except a straight line.
I tried un-installing the latest drivers and re-installing the older one, and then got the "carzy mouse" syndrome!
BUT I can't de-activate the mouse, it just scribbles stuff all over the screen. I've tried the Regustry edit, which also didn't seem to work.
I am at my wits end with this!
Can anyone help please?
I am running Win7 x64

I have viewed all the ghost drivers on my system and de-installed them as well.

Maybe someone can explain why in Barainbay it seems to be saying that it is transferring packets but the data is not changing.
Also, how do I find out what the datecode of the FTDI chip is without removing the "Warranty void" sticker?

Very frustrated that I have bought something with a serial link problem! I thought we had left those behind us 20 years ago!

LubOlimex

Hey Goldenspark,

Try the keyboard method for disabling the mouse interface. I also use Windows 7 x64 and I feel your pain but, unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about the "crazy mouse" without failing the OpenEEG software recommendations, thus, making it incompatible with the P2 firmware.

About the software please try first with the "Electric Guru" software - it is easiest to setup up (only select the proper COM port and press the "traffic light" button). It might be downloaded from here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/EEG/OpenEEG/EEG-SMT/resources/ElecGuru40.zip.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

marcpaul

hey goldenspark...

i'm a little off-topic but perhaps...

electric guru is of course the easiest way to see results but you can't do much with it...

perhaps take a look at gnu octave...

there you have tons of mathematical functions and plotting and you can capture the signal from com port and it's much more flexible... depends on what you wanna do with the data...

have a nice day
marc

Goldenspark

Hey Lub, thanks for the reply, but I can't seem to get the keyboard method to work. Unless I am missing something, the crazy mouse scribbles all sorts of new open windows and stuff so I can't get to disable it.
I'll have another go, but any additional help gratefully received!

Marc, thanks, I will look that up.

Goldenspark

Hah! Got it to work.
What a performance though!
Shame on Microsoft for not sorting this one out!

It now works OK in Electric Guru but not Brainbay?

Time for more testing.

LubOlimex

Hey again Goldenspark,

Please follow the installation instructions that I've written in the manual blindly (here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/EEG/OpenEEG/EEG-SMT/resources/EEG-SMT.pdf). I have tested OpenVibe and BrainBay personally and they should work as written in the documentation.

Remember to  lower the "latency timer"  in the "Windows Device Mangaer" to receive the readings more frequently (leading to more fluent readings). Instructions might be found on page 15 of the user's manual that I already linked above.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

Goldenspark

Hi Lub,

I ordered some electrodes from your shop,but the confirmation emails seem to always be blank. Do you know why?
If I try and reply to the email the script becomes visible?

LubOlimex

Hey Goldenspark,

Did you manage to solve the problem, or the problem persists?

What mail client or browser are you using?

Have you disabled HTML support for the incoming e-mails? The confirmation e-mails are sent in HTML format (opposed to simple text).

What is the order's reference number, so we can track the order?

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

Goldenspark

Hi Lub,

apologies for not replying to you earlier! I did manage to get Brainbay working, but it does seem to be a bit intermittent at times. I don't know why yet.

My email client doesn't seem to have any switches except to "show full header". The email is marked as having an attachment, but there is none when I open it.
Order is Order #W-AG211113-1.

Thanks.

LubOlimex

Hey again,

Can you please specify which e-mail client are you using? (So we can try with the same client).

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

LubOlimex

I believe the problem might be with the web mail you are using. Unfortunately, we can't test orange.co.uk since  it is not available in our country (http://i.imgur.com/71CfDz0.png). Probably it is related to the box level of security. We don't place any images in the e-mails sent but the text is in HTML format. Probably the web mail box/client has blocked the attachment.

What I can confirm is that your order was placed correctly and has been shipped properly. You would receive a print of the attachment (that failed to open properly) inside the package.

We did test with couple of other popular e-mail clients with web interface (yahoo, gmail, etc) and everything seems to be working as intended.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX

Goldenspark

Thanks Lub,

I'll try and remember to change my email address on future orders to my gmail account!