AM3352-OLinuXino

Started by dickelbeck, March 13, 2013, 07:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrendanSimon

How is the testing going?

When do you estimate the AM3352-SOM and AM3352-SOM-EVB boards will be available to purchase?  What price for low quantities?

Thanks, Brendan.

olimex

testing go slow :) we run 7-8 projects at same time
we got stuck at the second Ethernet enable
AM3352 and AM3358 are quite different and all Linux support is done on AM3358 due to BB, so this will take more time than we expect
with Allwinner chips we already have some experience and Linux support happens in matter of weeks, here I'm not so optimistic, despite the thousands of user manual pages, the Linux support for AM335x seems to me more complex than the one on Allwinner chips

farlane

Call in help from TI perhaps?

olimex

my observation is that TI Linux support is way obsolete than the community support around BB
we will spend some more time on AM3352 after we finish with A20-SOM and move up to date the A13 and A10S Debian and Android support

we have too many boards and the software support becomes a burden
RPi and BB have one single PCB design to support, we have 9 OLinuXinos ready and one in development + 4 new SOMs in development
maybe we should stop making new hardware for a while :D

pr242

Why don't you make this available without Linux support?

Not everyone is using Linux... :P

olimex

and how to test if hardware is working without software :P

BrendanSimon

I'm not sure why the AM3352 was chosen for the SOM.  If you want to provide an alternative to the BeagleBone (original or black) then an AM3359 or AM3358 would be good, and you get all the BB linux support :)

To me the interesting feature of this processor is the PRU, so I would have put a AM3356/7/8/9 on board to SOM.  The GPU doesn't interest me that much, but it would be good to have as an option for some applications.

I hope that the AM3352-SOM can be completed soon and I can prototype with it, and then later be able to replace it with a AM3356/7-SOM or AM3358/9-SOM if need be :)

BrendanSimon

Does the AM3352-SOM use the 15x15/0.8mm or the 13x13/0.65mm package?

I'm guessing 15x15 as a previous comment mentions getting stuck with 2nd ethernet enable, and 2nd ethernet is only available on 15x15 package, right?

If 15x15, then the SOM should be able to be loaded with 52, 54, 56, 57, 58 or 59 parts, right?

I am primarily interested in the features of the 56 (with PRU-ICSS) or possibly the 58 (with PRU-ICSS and 3D Graphics).  I don't believe I have a requirement for EtherCAT, but if I did the 57 and 59 would be required.

There is approximately $4-$5 difference between 56 and 57 and similarly between the 58 and 59 (according to Mouser in quantities of 100)

So it may be good to focus on two SOMs (3352 and 3359).  This would give top and bottom end options, and also BeagleBone compatibility/support for the top end 3358/59.

Is this possible Olimex ??

olimex

we can produce the modules with any Sitara on them the package is 15x15 0.8 step
minimum quantity to produce module with chip different than AM3352 is 1000 pcs

BrendanSimon

OK.  I couldn't justify buying 1000 units :(

So you don't think Olimex is likely to provide two low quantity options (e.g. AM3352 or AM3359) ?

If not, is it possible to order the board without the AM3352, and for users to have an AM335x of their choice loaded.  Not sure if that is technically possible or not ??

BrendanSimon

I guess the other option is to supply bare boards for end user to populate.  Can Olimex supply bare boards ??

Failing that, I think the Eagle design files are available so the end user can have bare boards manufactured and then populated, yes ??

vinifr

Quote from: olimex on September 13, 2013, 04:05:03 PM
AM3352 and AM3358 are quite different and all Linux support is done on AM3358 due to BB, so this will take more time than we expect
with Allwinner chips we already have some experience and Linux support happens in matter of weeks, here I'm not so optimistic, despite the thousands of user manual pages, the Linux support for AM335x seems to me more complex than the one on Allwinner chips

Hi. Why you chose to use AM3352 instead of AM3358? Since all Linux support is done on AM3358 due to BB.

jmyreen

Quote from: vinifr on March 26, 2015, 02:58:55 AM
Quote from: olimex on September 13, 2013, 04:05:03 PM

Hi. Why you chose to use AM3352 instead of AM3358? Since all Linux support is done on AM3358 due to BB.

The 3352 and 3358 are not that different. According TI's documentation, basically the only differences are that the 3352 is missing the PRU and 3D acceleration. The Linux that comes with the BB in no way depends on nor supports the PRU, if you want to use it you are on your own.

Support for dual Ethernet has got nothing to do with the choice of SoC, the 3352 and 3358 are identical in this regard. This is really a distinguishing feature of the AM3352-SOM; the BeagleBones simply chose to ignore support for two Ethernet interfaces.

JohnS

If Olimex find that people buy many of the current modules then no doubt they'll consider similar modules with the other CPUs.

If you don't see those offered, draw the obvious conclusion.

John

vinifr

Ok guys, thanks for replies.

But it could not be just a matter of price?  :D