eeg-smt for meditation?

Started by stingo, July 10, 2013, 01:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stingo

I was wondering if it might be possible to use the eeg-smt as a tool to meditate.  I'm very new when it comes to the technical aspects of eeg's.  I've read stuff online about some people using something called an alpha-theta trainer and getting into altered states pretty easily.  Is this something I'd be able to do with an eeg-smt and one of the three computer programs recommended for it?  Anybody who uses their eeg-smt for a similar reason, feel free to offer any advice you can.  Thanks.

LubOlimex

Hey stingo,

Could you expand "a tool to meditate" a bit? I'm not sure I understand what exactly do you mean.

The EEG-SMT just reads electrical data from the skin and sends it to a computer where the data gets visualized. It helps for monitoring brain waves and analyzing brain activity patterns, among others. 

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

stingo

Well, when someone goes into an authentic state of meditation, their beta brain waves almost disappear, while their alpha and theta waves become significantly increased.  I think their delta waves increase as well but I'm not sure about that one.  I've heard there's eeg tools that make a sound or some other indication when your alpha and theta waves increase.  This allows you have direct feedback to learn to meditate.  Is this something I could set up with an eeg-smt and any of the computer programs recommended for it?

LubOlimex

Hello Stingo,

Now I understand what you mean.

For instance you can make a project under BrainBay. It has a sound player module which might be triggered at certain events. Please refer to this user's manual: http://www.shifz.org/brainbay/manuals/BrainBay-user_manual.pdf (pages 36, 38 and 40-44).

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

stingo

That seems to be what I was looking for.  Thank you.

krumiaa

Stingo, I had the same question as you regarding using EEG-SMT for meditation and was curious how much success you have had using it for that purpose, i.e have you gotten the functionality on the brainbay software to work for you? Thanks

stingo

I haven't actually bought the eeg-smt yet, but I'll post back here once I have it and have tried it out.