Plastic Box for imx233-olinuxino MAXI & lmx233-olinuxino-MINI

Started by dnienhis, March 04, 2013, 12:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnienhis

Bought both of these boards from Mouser recently and the MAXI seems to function great - haven't had time to build a fire in the MINI as of yet.

One small obstacle - I'd really like to have a plastic box to contain these boards - the OliMex documentation says that the board will fit in the Pactec JM42 plastic enclosure.  I saw this mentioned so ordered two of these enclosures thinking my problems would be solved..  NO GO!

Looking at the documentation again it says "the Board will fit in the JM42 plastic box -  yes, I'm certain the board will fit but NOT the board that's populated with all of the components.

Anyone know of a box that will fit the Boards Populated with components?

And it looks like i now have two surplus JM42 plastic boxes!

OLIMEX:  Maybe you should update your documentation - OR -  tell me what I'm doing wrong.

:(

I have a couple of pictures of the mis-fit but am not smart enough to figure out how to attach them here.

jim_butz

You are correct - only the PCB itself will be completely contained inside the case.  Both the front panel and rear panel need to have modifications in order to fit nicely.  If you download the hardware files and view the layers in Eagle you will see a layer that defines the cutouts.  I figure that task may be too great for some people so I am attaching a picture of the required modifications.

I had double checked that before I tried to order one.  Another option is from Polycase - P/N AG-54.  It's about $7 USD for a qty of 1.  It's a little bigger but can hold everything inside.  Ideally, you'll have to add 2 standoffs that are 1/4" tall to the bottom surface in order to properly mount the board.  But this is a lot easier (drilling 2 holes) than machining out 2 faceplates.

I took the time to model the MAXI up with the critical components for checking the fit.  I'll figure out how to post since a lot of people could benefit from having a 3D model of the MAXI.

Looks like the admins turned off ability to post attachments so I won't be able to post the cutouts or the models.  I'll see if there is another way to share this info.

Good Luck!

Jim

picmaster

@dnienhis - I've read carefully your post, but I was unable to understand which exact board you tried to fit in the plastic box?

dnienhis

I have two boards that don't fit:

iMX233-olinuxino MAXI   (1 ethernet, 2 USB)
AND
iMX233-olinuxino-MINI-WIFI (3 USB)

Neither one will fit in the Pactec JM42.  If the board was not populated with any components it would fit fine but some of the components are too tall - which prevents the top cover from closing.

Email me at:  david@nienhiser.com and I'll send you some pictures!  (or tell me how to post them here)

Thanks!

Stinde

Hi,

Just to be sure, did you snap out the perforated area around the mounting holes?
In my MAXI the video connector pin was a bit too long and the electrolytic cap behind it hit the roof.

Timo

dnienhis

Quote from: Stinde on March 05, 2013, 02:46:32 PM
Hi,

Just to be sure, did you snap out the perforated area around the mounting holes?
In my MAXI the video connector pin was a bit too long and the electrolytic cap behind it hit the roof.

Timo

I don't recall seeing any perforated areas around the two mounting holes?  There were removable panels for the front and back.   The issue is the height though.  I think it's a capacitor and maybe the stack of USB ports that keep the top from touching the bottom (of the case).  I have some pictures but can't figure out how to post them here?

Stinde

I meaned the perforated area around the Olinuxino MAXI board mounting holes, not on the case.

It sure would be such easier if photos could be attached.

Timo

dnienhis

thanks ...  i'll look at my board again when i get home tonight.  I'm thinking you are saying there's some board material i can remove around the holes which may let the board sit lower in the bottom half of the case letting the top of the case clear the components?   thx!

dnienhis

Found a magnifying glass and could see the tiny holes around the mounting holes in the board.  "Chewed" them out with small wire cutters then made the rough edges I created "smooth" with a file.  Also had to shave some of the small plastic raised areas on the side of the plastic box - or the box would BOW because the width of the board was pushing against the sides of the plastic box.  Once I did that to both of my boards everything fit perfectly!

THANKS to everyone for their Help/Input!

http://postimage.org/image/50su4h0dj/