Can Olimex active electrodes be used with other EEG amplifiers?

Started by dinaj, February 16, 2013, 10:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinaj

Hi,

I was wondering if the Olimex active electrodes could be used with other EEG amplifiers, and if so, would I need to use a certain number of active electrodes but also include a passive one, for the ground signal?  I may have an opportunity to purchase a used Stellate EEG system and am unsure whether your active electrodes may be used with other systems like Stellate or Nicolet.  I am debating whether to purchase the used hospital EEG system or a couple of Olimex EEG SMTs.  I am very new to this and greatly appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Kind regards,

Dina

LubOlimex

Hey Dina,

The active electrodes work at 5V and follow the layout here: https://www.olimex.com/Products/EEG/Electrodes/EEG-AE/resources/EEG-AE.pdf. Generally our EEG-SMT devices are more of a hobbyist electronics tool (despite packing good accuracy) than professional hospital equipment. The devices you mentioned tend to be in the second category.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

ellecieffe

QuoteThe active electrodes work at 5V
Hi, sorry for the trivial question.
It is possible to use AE at 3.3V ?

LubOlimex

Hey ellecieffe,

QuoteIt is possible to use AE at 3.3V ?
It is not recommended. There are ways to make them work - among those: driving the 5V from the EEG-SMT to 3.3; providing external supply for the AEs. Still I think this is not a justified effort.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex