ARM-USB-TINY-H as PIC programmer?

Started by KK1L, May 11, 2022, 12:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK1L

Folks,

I have an ARM-USB-TINY-H and now have a PIC I need to flash. I have been struggling to make the TINY-H work in this capacity. My research and efforts have failed me. I have OpenOCD up and have used that to access JTAG on a few devices without issue. So not a first time use issue.

The PIC I am flashing is on a board which has ICSP configured. I have some experience with JTAG, but none with ICSP. My issue could be my ignorance. It could be the TINY won't work in this case. Or a combination of the two.

If someone has gone through this before and knows the answer I would be appreciative.

Thanks.

JohnS

Exactly which PIC?

On what board?

How powered?

John

KK1L

Hi John,

PIC18F26K22
The board is an antenna tuner control with a 5 pin ICSP
The load is very small on the 5V supply, so power supplied through the ICSP 5V pin (jumpered to main 5V to program)

I have been continuing to learn how to make this work and am thinking SPI configuration might be a start. I am still scouring the web and learning. I know I could just get "the right tool", but I love puzzles :)

73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><

JohnS

I don't see how you could use ARM-USB-TINY-H.

The datasheet shows you need ICSP.

A PICKIT 3 or the like - cheap, especially a clone :)

John

LubOlimex

As I wrote in the other thread - I don't think OpenOCD can be used for ICSP PIC chips. It can be used for PIC32 chips with JTAG interface (PIC32MX, PIC32MZ, etc).

For PIC18, consider Olimex PIC-KIT3 (and header or adapter to adapt the connectors).
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

KK1L

Thanks folks. I have a PIC-KIT3 coming. Was hoping to use what I already had available.  ICSP is definitely different than JTAG, but worth asking.
Thanks for your help and advice.

73 es God Bless de KK1L, Ron <><