ubuntu 20 focal : slow video driver breaks everything -> unusable lime2

Started by att2, August 08, 2021, 11:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

att2

Hello,
We have the following configuration:
Hardware: T2-OLinuXino-LIME2-e8Gs16M-IND rev.L
Lot code: P15389
We installed Ubuntu 20 focal from images.olimex.com sucessfully (filename : A20-OLinuXino-buster-base-20210707-172415.img.7z )

Just after installation the whole installation is around 2.8 GB in size, on the sd card.
What we noticed is that booting is noticably slower than what we were used as a normal boot time since the old Kernel 3.4 and revision K of Lime2.

Just starting a 7 MB tiny program for the GUI for example, needs about 10 seconds. With the old Kernel 3.4.x, it started instantly.
We examined this case and we found out that the video driver is terribly slow, the CPU usage is always spiking to 100% due to the slow buggy video driver.
This makes the whole system unusable. The only good use left is as a purely text terminal without any graphics and X window system at all.

Therefore I am very disappointed that the newest and latest kernel 5 in Ubuntu 20 focal does not have the proper video drivers installed.

How do I get the old faster Allwinner video drivers to work in Ubunto 20 focal, so that the whole system is so much faster ? Is there such a solution ?

JohnS

att2

Then please tell me how to add any closed source video driver to the current setup.

LubOlimex

I can confirm this in mainline images there are no binary blobs and no hardware video acceleration enabled. I also wrote it on page 11 in this document:

https://github.com/OLIMEX/OLINUXINO/blob/master/DOCUMENTS/OLIMAGE/Olimage-guide.pdf

I understand what you want to do and it is the right thing to do but unfortunately, we haven't worked in the direction. I can't give you any valuable advice on how to enable hardware acceleration in mainline images. The best idea would be to either check the build instructions for our old images or check the sunxi community.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex