ESP32 EVB REV. H won't boot. REV. F works

Started by GeorgeFlorian, February 26, 2020, 02:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeFlorian

Board: ESP32-EVB-EA REV. H
Platform: PlatformIO Core 4.2.1

I have a project in which I use GPIO 16 and 13 to send(output) a signal and GPIO 15 and 17 to receive a trigger(input).

#define W0 16
#define W1 13
#define INPUT_1 15
#define INPUT_2 17

//setting the pins for Wiegand
  pinMode(W0, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(W1, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(W0, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(W1, HIGH);

//setting the pins for Inputs
  pinMode(INPUT_1, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(INPUT_2, INPUT_PULLUP);
  digitalWrite(INPUT_1, HIGH);
I've connected the ESP to a 5V power source. If I boot up the ESP without connecting it to a micro-USB it won't boot up unless I hit RESET. It then reboots normally and works.

If I'm also connecting a micro-USB to the ESP it will log some gibberish and then it will work normally.

��␛��␃�'�$$'��␇�␛'''␄�$$$�␄$ ␃#�$����␄␄#��$$$$�$�␄$d ␃#�$���␛␜␀␄#��$$$��$�␄l$ ␃����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8|�␃␃#�����␀����<�;␛�''8␂;;'#$�␄$���|�#␄␄␄$#���␜␛$␛$␛␛�␛� ␃���'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␒�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄�␄$#�␛���;␛���Ó ␃␃����'�␂$␄$#��'''�␎�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃Ã��'�␃�␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␂#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;n#$�␄$���<�#␌$�$#�␛����␓$$␇�$$$�␇��ؐ␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;o#$�␄������'g␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃�␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃␄�$#��'''�␇�␛o'�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�b␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇�ې�␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃��ܞ�<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������g'␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<��`␃␃����'�␃$�$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃��$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'��␜␛'##␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�ۜ��<�;␛�''8␃{;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇Û��␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�ۜ��<�;␛�''8␃{;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�d$�␃�␛�$�<Ó ␃␃����'�␃��$#��'''�␇�␛o'�␄�'���␜␛g##␇$␃����g�␃␄␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$d␇�$$$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃$␄$#��'''�␇�␒''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃��ے'�␃$␄␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$���'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␓�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$c�␛����␛$$␇�d$$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃$$␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�g���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃$�␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛o##␇$����'�␛o��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇����␇$����'�␛o��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃$�␄$#��''n�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃$␄�$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛g##␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃c�����␀�����|�;␛�''8␃;;'b$�␄$���<�#␄l�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇����␏$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃c�$�␜�␃�����|�;␛�''8␃;;'c$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃$$�$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃$��$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$�Ó�'�␛'��␟��'�␛'8<�␃␃#����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄d���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$l$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'�␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃$��$#��'o'�␇�␛''�␄�g���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃$␄␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛o##␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�r␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�r␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃␃����'�␃$$␄$#��''n�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␇$␃����'�␃�␄␄$#��'''�␇�␛''�␄�'���␜␛'##␎$ $$#��'�8�␃�''�$;;�;r␃������'��;␃�$����'<'␃$␄␄�<�␛''�$�␛␛''###␇$␇�''�<?�''��␃���p�'��;�␛#�␃$''$���;�'g�<␀$$ ␃���'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�l$$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␒�$�<�� ␃����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄$���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄$␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�����␀�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄l���<�#␄$�$#�␛����␛$$␇�$$$�␇����␇$����'�␛'��␟��'��␛'8<�␃␃#�$�␜�␃�����<�;␛�''8␃;;'#$�␄������''␟␀�␄d␄$#�$$�␃�␛�$�<�� ␃
rst:0xc (SW_CPU_RESET),boot:0x1b (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:1
load:0x3fff0018,len:4
load:0x3fff001c,len:1216
ho 0 tail 12 room 4
load:0x40078000,len:9720
ho 0 tail 12 room 4
load:0x40080400,len:6352
entry 0x400806b8
State of Induction PINS:
INPUT_1 (GPIO 15): 1
INPUT_2 (GPIO 17): 1
[D][WiFiGeneric.cpp:337] _eventCallback(): Event: 0 - WIFI_READY
[D][WiFiGeneric.cpp:337] _eventCallback(): Event: 2 - STA_START

If I power up the ESP using ONLY the micro-USB it still outputs the gibberish in the beginning but then it works as it should be.

The thing that baffles me is that the pins are not connected to anything. They are indeed soldered to a PCB, but they end in screw terminals that have no connection at the moment. I have checked every inch of the PCB with a voltmeter and nothing touches.

Does it have something to do with the ESP32 running on 5V ? It looks like it.

What do you think ?

Follow up:

I have removed the PCB from the circuit and have connected the 5V Power Source directly to the ESP and it still does not boot.

The circuit above is composed of a 220V to 12V PSU and a 12V to 5V switching power supply The measured output is ~5V.

Another follow up:

I've switched the ESP boards from a Rev.H to a Rev.F and this one works with no trouble. I will check with other boards and see if it works.

GeorgeFlorian

Why is nobody answering this ?

There is something clearly wrong with REV. H. I have got 2 REV.H that boot with that gibberish. REV.F does not boot with that gibberish. REV.F functions perfectly normal.

REV.H does not boot when powered from a 5V power supply; REV.F boots perfectly.

Both boards have the same code and the same environment.

LubOlimex

QuoteWhy is nobody answering this ?

What do you mean? Are forum users supposed to answer to everything that gets posted in public forums?

The gibberish text on top of boot is a popular topic if you search for "esp32 gibberish". On boot the bootlaoder of ESP32 uses different baud rate compared to the baudrate of the user software.

About the powering - when you apply the 5V power supply how do determine that it doesn't work? I'd suppose there is some problem in this sequence you attach peripherals to the board in this scenario and the board remains kept in reset. Try to do it in different order - first attach the peripheral then attach the power supply or vice versa.

Edit: Is this issue affecting multiple boards or just one?
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

GeorgeFlorian

Of course I am expecting support on a payed product; then again, this is a free forum. I thought that I would get a faster answer on a forum than from sending a mail to the support.

The gibberish text is more prominent on the REV.H.

As I've mentioned above:
Quote from: undefinedI have removed the PCB from the circuit and have connected the 5V Power Source directly to the ESP and it still does not boot.
There are no peripherals attached to the board. I am only trying to power it up just like in this picture:

The 220V to 12V PSU goes to a 12V to 5V switching power supply that enters the ESP. The measured output is ~5V. There is nothing else in this circuit. It's an easy plug-in to power on. I can plug it and unplug it any number of times and it still won't boot.

How do I know it doesn't boot ? I have a WebServer on the ESPs and I can't access it. I've waited around 5 minutes for the ESP to boot.

A strange thing is that after I hit Reset button it boots up normally in a few seconds. But if I unplug it from the power and then plug it back on, it returns to its normal behavior where it won't boot.

Another strange thing is that if I hook up an USB cable to the ESP and quickly open a Serial Monitor I get the above gibberish and after a while it finally boots up. If I unhook the USB cable and unplug it from the power and then plug it back on, it returns to its normal behavior where it won't boot.

This happens for both the REV.H I have access to. The other boards that I have access to are REV.F and they all work normally.

LubOlimex

I can confirm this problem with the power jack - it also behaves similarly here. We are investigating, would keep you updated.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

olimex

The problem is located, in Rev.H we decided to go as low power as possible.
For this purpose all pullup resistors were increased.
The RESET resistor R24 changed from 1K in Rev.F to 470K in Rev.H
This value is too big for some boards to pull reset reliable HIGH.
Unfortunately this do not affect all boards and we didn't catch it during our tests.
We will decrease the value for the further assembly.
You can fix your board by replacing R24 with 10K.

GeorgeFlorian

I can confirm that this affects both of my REV.H boards.

Changing R24 to 10K doesn't modify the boards behavior. It still won't boot and if it does boot it does so with a lot of boot gibberish.

I will try with a 1K resistor and post the details.