Starting with GPIO

Started by HarrisonCreates, November 16, 2019, 08:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrisonCreates

Hello everybody!

I tried to go to the Wiki Page on the A64 to learn more about GPIO usage, pinouts, etc, but I can't seem to find anything. The closest GPIO related content I was able to digest for the A64 was the PyPi library for controlling them.

So I have a few questions; if these were answered already in this forum please notify me, since I did search through as well before posting.

Here's What I'm Trying to do: I want to run an Olimex vibration motor from GPIO when the touchscreen is interacted with. I already wrote code to detect a touchscreen interaction which maps to a python endpoint, which would then trigger the GPIO. But I need to know how to wire to the GPIO pins before I can code for them.

So my questions are these:

1.) Which pin is the GPIO ground pin?
2.) Is there overvoltage protection? What is the max voltage/current that can be provided by a GPIO pin?
3.) How many analog/digital GPIO pins are there?
4.) Is there a pinout available to reference?

Thank you everybody! I really tried to find online resources for this but I wasn't able to find anything. YouTube tutorials, Olimex Wiki, A64 forum, etc.

HarrisonCreates

Would anyone like to help out with this question?

martinayotte

1) Any GND pins found on the header.
2) No protection.
3) No analog, only digital, the ones that are available on the header
4) Look at the schematic :
https://github.com/OLIMEX/OLINUXINO/raw/master/HARDWARE/A64-OLinuXino/1.%20Latest%20hardware%20revision/A64-OLinuXino%20hardware%20revision%20E/A64-OlinuXino_Rev_E.pdf

JohnS

2. No protection. Datasheet has the limits.  Be aware that max values include such meanings as "summed across all pins" and may require heat sink / fan / etc.  If you want reliability do not get near the max for anything.

John

HarrisonCreates

Quote from: martinayotte on November 22, 2019, 04:30:19 PM1) Any GND pins found on the header.
2) No protection.
3) No analog, only digital, the ones that are available on the header
4) Look at the schematic :
https://github.com/OLIMEX/OLINUXINO/raw/master/HARDWARE/A64-OLinuXino/1.%20Latest%20hardware%20revision/A64-OLinuXino%20hardware%20revision%20E/A64-OlinuXino_Rev_E.pdf

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it :D