How to communicate with MX220 Pinguino bootloader?

Started by fruttenboel, January 11, 2013, 01:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fruttenboel

Hi,

I am a Slackware Linux user and I have bought an MX220 Pinguino board. When I connect the MX220 to the PC (keeping the button pressed), the system recognizes the bootloader as /dev/hidraw0. That's the positive part. But how do I communicate with the bootloader? What is the command set? Which kind of responses?

I want to build a simple command line programmer/loader with obc or mocka. Any help is appreciated.

LubOlimex

Hey fruttenboel,

You should either use Pinguino IDE for Linux: https://sites.google.com/site/pinguinotutorial/installation/linux-1.

Additionally you can use the Microchip bootloader which is part of the Microchip's application libraries: http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=2680&dDocName=en547784.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

fruttenboel

Well, Pinguino IDE does not work for me. I have no Ubuntu system. I tried to get it working for my Slackware 12.2 but failed. It needs PythonSubversion library and lots of things more.
I then tried to get help on the Pinguino form but some guy pissed me off. No help at all. So I decided to create my own software. I could use an older Pinguino IDE but that had no support for PIC32.
I have downloaded MPLAB X from Arizona MicroChip and that works fine. The Pinguino IDE only runs on a few versions on non-Linux.

LubOlimex

Hey there,

The MPLAB X is a good choice (if you have PIC32 compatible programmer/debugger). Make sure to check on the Microchip's bootloader - it is part of the Microchip's application libraries which have a Linux version also.

The sources are located in Application_libraries__path://USB/Device - Bootloaders

The bootloader application is in Application_libraries__path://USB/Tools/Pdfsusb

The custom driver is in Application_libraries__path://USB/Tools/MCHPUSB Custom Driver

Regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

fruttenboel

I found valuable information on the microchip website. Check AN13888. It describes the bootloader and how it talks to the world.