Error while installing Linux NAND image in A20-Olinuxino-Micro

Started by bpir1, December 05, 2017, 01:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpir1

Hi all,

I have A20-Olinuxino-Micro-n8gb NAND flash board. I am trying to install Linux NAND image. I have downloaded the linux image for NAND flash and gave nandinstall command but I am getting following error.

#    #   ##   #####  #    # # #    #  ####
#    #  #  #  #    # ##   # # ##   # #    #
#    # #    # #    # # #  # # # #  # #
# ## # ###### #####  #  # # # #  # # #  ###
##  ## #    # #   #  #   ## # #   ## #    #
#    # #    # #    # #    # # #    #  ####

Re-partitioning NAND device
check partition table copy 0: mbr: version 0xa7dfce57, magic �6}7߳
magic �6}7߳ is not softw411
check partition table copy 1: mbr: version 0xa7dfce57, magic �6}7߳
check partition table copy 2: mbr: version 0xa7dfce57, magic �6}7߳
check partition table copy 3: mbr: version 0xa7dfce57, magic �6}7߳
all partition tables are bad!

ready to write new partition tables:
mbr: version 0x00000200, magic softw411
2 partitions
partition  1: class =         DISK, name =   bootloader, partition start =      128, partition size =    16384 user_type=0
partition  2: class =         DISK, name =        linux, partition start =    16512, partition size =        0 user_type=0

write new partition tables? (Y/N)

verifying new partition tables:
all partition tables are bad!
rereading partition table... returned 0
Check partition table

*** Re-partition NAND device /dev/nand failed, Partition table has damaged ***

To fix the partition table, You can try to run nandinstall again. If the error still there, then you need to use livesuit restore a factory image first, then run nandinstall.

After this error, I rerun nandinstall command, still same error. Please tell me the solution to it.

Thanks
Bpipi

LubOlimex

Hello,

It is probably related to the first issue mentioned in the FAQ of this wiki article: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/How_to_install_Debian_to_NAND#FAQ - something overwrote the boot sections. We set these during production, but it is possible to erase them or corrupt them.

Did you try what was suggested in the error message - install Android first then test again with the Debian Linux? You should use PhoenixSuit or LiveSuit and this Android image: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/images/1/18/A20_android_422_TS_USB_UART_I2C_WIFI_LAN_HDMI_LCD_800x480_release_3.torrent

I also tested the official image for the A20-OLinuXino-MICRO-n8GB. It works fine including the install script, so the problem is elsewhere. This is the image that I used: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/images/f/fc/A20_OLinuxino_Micro_debian_Jessie_34_103_2G_NAND_release_15.torrent

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

bpir1

Thanks for your reply.

I have downloaded android image for A20-olinuxino-Micro for NAND.

1. When I am trying to install with Phoenixsuit I am getting following error.
   "Burn Firmware Failed. Please ensure the firmware file is valid and Device workout Correctly"

2. When I am trying to install with Livesuit I am getting following error.
   "Image file Invalid"

Could You please help me with this error?

Thanks
Bpir1

LubOlimex

Probably the power supply is insufficient.

Did you follow the steps described here: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/A20-OLinuXino-MICRO#How_to_download_new_Android_image_to_the_NAND_memory_of_my_A20_board.3F ?

Maybe you missed to install the USB drivers, maybe you missed entering bootloader mode, maybe you didn't apply the external power supply at the proper time of the sequence.

bpir1

Thanks for the mail.

I am following steps mentioned in the link https://www.olimex.com/wiki/A20-OLinuXino-MICRO#How_to_download_new_Android_image_to_the_NAND_memory_of_my_A20_board.3F but download progresses till 10% and displays "Burn Firmware Failed. Please ensure the firmware file is valid and Device workout Correctly" error message. So Please help me with this.

And one more thins is I am trying with A20_android_422_TS_USB_UART_I2C_WIFI_LAN_HDMI_LCD_1024x600_release_3.img image. I am trying to download A20_android_422_TS_USB_UART_I2C_WIFI_LAN_HDMI_LCD_800x480_release_3.img but I am net getting sufficient seeders and its unable to download the image. Please add seeders so that I can download the 800x600 image.

Thanks
Bpir1

LubOlimex

Hmm another idea on how to format the NAND - load the Linux from the card again and check if the NAND is visible (it should be). It is a something like /dev/nanda or /dev/nandb. You can mount it and inspect it but we mainly care about formatting it so you can skip mounting/unmounting and just use fdisk to format it (aka fdisk /dev/nanda).

bpir1

I have loaded Linux Image on SD Card and booted from SD card, but only /dev/nand is visible. There is no partition like /dev/nanda or /dev/nandb. Shall I format NAND partition and recreate partitions(/dec/nanda and /dev/nandb). If it has to recreate a partition, what will be the size of nanda and nandb partitions?

Thanks
Bpir1

bpir1

I have manually created two partitions /dev/nanda and /dev/nandb in /dev/nand with nand-part command.
Following command I have used to create partition.

nand-part -f a20 /dev/nand 128 'bootloader 16384' 'linux 15548288'

after this I have formatted /dev/nanda partition with mke2fs /dev/nanda command. Then I have used nandinstall command but It is getting stuck at mke2fs command and not going further.

Please tell me If I am missing any in between step.

Thanks
Bpir1

LubOlimex

How many times did you try to run the nandinstall script btw? The first time I ran the script it showed the same exact message as yours in the first post, the second time when I start it, it worked fine. I see you tried two times, but maybe run the script a few more time just to be sure. About the formatting, it should be something like this:

wipefs /dev/nand

sudo fdisk /dev/nand

n enter
p enter
1 enter
enter
enter
q enter

mkfs.ext4 /dev/nand

y enter

Edit: how do you power the board again? Is the external power supply good enough? Do you have/can you attach a Li-Po battery as a back-up in case the main power supply is insufficient at certain point?

bpir1

Thanks for the reply.

I have followed the above procedure and created partition. After that also I am getting the same error for nandinstall command.

I am not using any battery and providing 12V, 2A power supply to A20-Olinuxino-Micro board. I have purchased another board and that one is working properly with nandinstall command without any problem.

Please help with this.

Thanks

LubOlimex

Hey,

Seems like a faulty nand to me, if you purchased the board from us drop an e-mail at support@olimex.com and include a link to this thread. We will give you RMA number to return the board for inspection and repair/replacement. Else write to the shop that you purchased the board.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX