Touchpad stopped working

Started by dirkmo, November 04, 2017, 04:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirkmo

Hi!

Yesterday i built my Teres Laptop. It is a really nice device! I'm writing this message with it right now :-)

The touchpad worked initially, but after using a USB mouse for a while, i realized the touchpad does not work anymore, while both touchpad buttons do still work.

I disconnected the USB mouse, switched the device off and on again. But still no luck. Any hints how to debug this? I do not want to open the device just yet to check for bad connections :-)

Thank you,
Dirk

LubOlimex

Did you press FN button + F3? This combination disables the touchpad. Try to enable it again with FN + F3.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

dirkmo

No, i did not press FN + F3. And if I do, the touchpad still does not work.

I opened the laptop to check connections. Then it worked again, even when i closed the laptop. But after a while it stopped working again :-\

LubOlimex

Well it seems that it is related to the two ribbon cables that connect the touchpad to the rest of the components. When you adjust them it seems to work and later after some movement they get disconnected. Did you open the locks before you insert the ribbon cable and then close them when the cable is fully inserted? If you have fully inserted the two ribbon cables and closed the locks, and if the behavior remains maybe the contact pads of the cables got worn out from inserting and removing. Can you upload a few pictures and share the link here - show us the two cables assembled before closing the laptop covers and also show us the four contact pads of the two ribbon cables.

Edit: expanded the question for more clarity

dirkmo

The ribbon cable seems ok, at least when the laptop is opened up and the solder joints of the connectors look ok, too.

I did some soldering yesterday with some small wires to replace the ribbon cable 029-FPC-Touch-Btn. Now it seems to work reliably, at least there were no problems yet.

LubOlimex

Should we consider it fixed for now? Keep us updated.

I was going to suggest to trim (cut straight) the ends of the cable but glad you managed to deal with the problem. Its a tiny cable you did a good soldering job there.

dirkmo

Yes, you can consider it as fixed.

I will report back if the problem comes back.