JTAG connection to i.MX233

Started by settuz, February 12, 2016, 09:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

settuz

Hello everybody!

I just received my first OLinuXino-micro board and I eager to start testing it. At first I tested it with an Arch distro and it seems to be working pretty well (of course).

Now I would like to connect it to my brand new J-Link debugger through standard JTAG interface. I read a lot of documents on this topic and I know that the standard JTAG interface is shared with the SD card pins and so on. However according to the reference manual (section 35.1.2), setting BM[3-0]="b0110" should set the processor waiting for a JTAG connection (they don't mention SJTAG here ???). I assume that the factory ROM code is in charge of detecting BM[3-0] pins and setting the proper I/O pins.

Of course I modified the original OLinuXino board in order to start from JTAG and I removed the SD card from the slot, but when I launch the GDB server it always complains that:
   "Connecting to target...ERROR: Could not connect to target."

Is there anyone which succesfully connected a standard JTAG to this processor before?
Otherwise it seems that the SJTAG adapter is the only way to get debug working on this board...   :-\ Is this adapter working also with J-Link?

Thanks a lot!  ;)

settuz

Hi JohnS,
thank you very much for the link! It seems that they already experienced the very same issue that I'm facing.

In fact the problem is that by setting BM[3-0]="b0110" should set the processor waiting for JTAG connection, but then it seems impossible to conenct through JTAG (I'm using a J-Link probe). I don't know if it's only a matter of properly configuring OpenOCD or there's also the factory ROM code which doesn't apply the proper pin-mux at boot. Anyway I'll give a try to the solutions proposed on that link and I'll let you know.

Thanks a lot!

JohnS

Probably the manual+silicon work.

You might try a request for anyone who's tried it.  Guessing that the oocd ML and imx forums (if any) may work if anyone happens to be there who's done it.

I think the 233 is part of a family.  If so, maybe widen searches to the other member(s).

I suppose you found the reference to the Lyre project?  it's in https://olimex.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/imx233-sjtag-adapter-design-complete/

Possibly some hints in this (at least there's imx233.cfg), though probably not: http://www.jann.cc/2013/08/24/debugging_the_imx233_olinuxino_via_sjtag_with_openocd.html

John