EEG-SMT-Matlab Linux

Started by Svato, October 19, 2015, 09:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Svato

Hello guys,

Before i will get passive electrode and i will be able to use SMT, is it compatible with linux? I suppose yes. What is the pattern of data coming from serial port? I didn't try it yet but i assume that it will be array of numbers. How to separate data to get signal from electrode? Any problems with matlab? I hope that it will be just opening port setting it  and getting data :D

Thank you for support guys

Ps i suppose that it has Low-pass filter for 60Hz not 50 right?

LubOlimex

Hey Svato,

I've seen people using EEG-SMT under Linux. I've seen people using it with Matlab. The data protocol of EEG-SMT is called OpenEEG firmware P2. The source code can be found here: http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/modeeg/firmware/modeeg-p2.c

We decided to release EEG-SMT as close to the original design suggested by OpenEEG community which of course meant the Basselworth filter had the value of 59Hz. For us this was just a matter of principle choice not a hardware problem to solve.

However, no filter can completely filter mains power supply noise. The best practice in my opinion is to use impulse power or external filter for the supply of the computer you use ALTOGETHER with staying away from 50Hz/60Hz sources while taking the readings from EEG-SMT (since you can put 50Hz through your body via the electrodes into the device). Easy way to do it is to use a charged laptop which is disconnected from the power socket.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex