A10 Lime flaky power connector

Started by Chax, May 27, 2014, 08:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chax

I have issues with the A10 lime boards. Very often applying only little pressure on the power cord or power jack-plug makes the Olinuxino hang or reboot.

This also happens when plugging in the power jack into the board for powering up. This usually makes the device hang before UBOOT is started. I then need to completely unplug the jack and reinsert it to get it going. The new as well as the 'old' generation (the developer edition) have this problem.

In another topic I found out that Olimex uses the YDJ-1136 connector (http://store.comet.bg/Catalogue/Product/24563/?fr=1680) and that this is a 2.5mm unit. Still there is a lot of 'space' around the negative side of the connector making the jack a bit loose when plugged in.

Anyone else experiences this? I tried a couple of adapters so far but it does not really help.

If anyone can tell me if the stock Olimex adapter (SY0605E) does not exhibit this problem, then I will buy these for our devices.

Lurch

Both of my LIMEs use 2.1mm barrel connectors, same as the A20 boards. No problems at all.
The 2.5 thing must be a typo?

Chax

Maybe that 2.1/2.5 thing is the problem :). The website in my link states 2.5mm and the specsheet also states 2.5mm. I think I have also tried 2.1mm plugs which seem to fit better, at least the positive side of the jack makes good contact but because the jack is a bit smaller than the 2.5mm, in that case the negative site is a bit loose.

Can you tell me an exact power supply type/model number? Did you use the Olimex adapter?

Lurch

The model might not help, these are German products. I used Dehner Elektronik SYS 1381-1005-W2E 5V@2A for the lIMEs and Dehner Elektronik SYS 1308-2412-W2E 12V@2A for A20 and A13 boards. These all have fixed 5.5/2.1mm connectors, so there's nothing to fiddle with and they fit perfectly.
Before that I used Voltcraft power supplies with interchangeable tips - the 5.5/2.1mm worked fine (the 5.5/2.5mm is too loose, as you noticed).
Bulgaria is part of the EU, so the Olimex plugs match, but shipping for heavy parts is ugly, so I always buy the power supplies locally. In any case, 5.5/2.1mm is the way to go.
Olimex should update their documentation.

JohnS

Maybe the Olimex part in "another topic" was a mistake by whoever posted it and the post needs correcting.

John

Lurch

The schematics of some of the boards also include the 'wrong' 5.5/2.5 part number. Apparently Olimex did a copy/paste and just forgot to update the part number to reflect what they are actually producing.
A10, A20 and A13 all show part number YDJ-1136, a carryover from the iMX233 board, which was probably 5.5/2.5mm
I think they just need to clean up their Eagle schematic/part library.
The problem seems to have started with https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=767.0

JohnS

Worth emailing their support if anyone wants it to change / be corrected!

John

Chax

@Lurch. Thanks for your suggestion! I bought the exact same adapter at Conrad and it has a much tighter fit. This adapter/connector isn't flaky at all.

For what it's worth: it's order number 512723-89 in the online Conrad store.