LIME: screen size HDMI

Started by Simon, February 18, 2014, 03:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Hi all,

I recently bought a LIME intended as an alternative for a RPi. However I found that the screen size is not quite right, neither on a TV on 1080 nor on a monitor using 1050 lines.

The coupling with the TV-set is using a standard cable with HDMI on both ends. The TV says it is doing 720. What I see is the centre of the screen, missing about 2cm left and right and at the bottom I see only half the bottom bar. In the bottom left corner I see the top 1/3 of the globe to start the browser, to give you an idea.

To connect to the monitor I use a HDMI/DVI conversion cable. Now the monitor says it is doing 1680x1050 and indeed I miss half the bar at the bottom. A very similar situation as with the TV-set.

I have been playing with the script to set different screen sizes but I never get a nicely fitting set-up. Has anyone full screen, and how did you do that?

And I am sorry to say but the RPi shows a full screen desktop in both situation without any action like configuration on my behalf. It would be nice if it would simply work if you plug it in.

Any suggestions? Is there any way I can contribute to make this simply work?

Thank you, Simon.

Simon

Dear All,

Thank you all for taking a peek at the topic. But why was there no one reporting "it is working OK; you must have a problem, dear Simon"?

Recently I learned that a TV-set, although intended for full HD and having a 1080 screen will not simply put the picture on the screen. It is normal that 2,5% of the screen is actually cut-off (cropped)?! So, if you present a 1080 line picture only 97,5% x 1080 = 1053 lines will be shown. But these 1053 will be spread out over the 1080 vertical pixels the screen has. This involves some serious arithmetic but however smart you do that, it will not result in an optimal presentation on the screen. It is not as sharp as it can be.

On my Samsung TV-set I found that the screen setting of "9:16" does what I described above. What you want is the option "full screen". With this option I now see the full desktop, as expected.

Please note that those settings (display options, but also brightness, contrast and the like) are per-input. So you have to set them correct for each input (TV is also an input) to what you think is correct. In my case using "full screen" for TV also resulted in a better quality picture.

Success to all of you!

Simon.

PS. the remaining point is displaying trough HDMI and a HDMI-DVI cable on a 1680x1050 PC monitor. Maybe I should start a new topic for that.

Um3ggh1U

Hello,
I have a similar problem trying to use 1080p monitors (1920x1080). My screen always keep the same resolution (1280x720) although I tried to set 1080p50 and 1080p60 by "change_display_a10_lime.sh" script. Also "xrandr --fb 1920x1080" fail with the message "xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1280x720 (desired size 1920x1080)".
I tried with different monitors with hdmi input and different cables.

Someone here found a solution to this issue?

JohnS

Maybe it is a resolution that cannot be supported now.

Did you find anything saying it is?

John

ivanovp

You can change the HDMI resolution, if you remove (or rename) the boot.scr file from your /media/A123-456 (or whatever) directory. A kernel parameter is hardcoded in the boot.scr by default and this prevents the script change_display_a10_lime.sh to work properly.
I've changed the resolution to 1920x1080 (tried all modes: i60, i50, p24, p50, p60). But unfortunately screen (or television) is flickering rapidly during video play. Has anyone similar problem? Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NC2mJ6tIVE
I replaced the HDMI cable and tried on a LG monitor and Samsung TV too. The error occurs on both devices.
p.s.: I've got an idea. I'll try with another power supply!

ivanovp

I've tried to play Full HD video with another power supply, but nothing changed. :( Video playing is still bad.

martinib

Quote from: ivanovp on March 30, 2014, 10:00:48 PM
You can change the HDMI resolution, if you remove (or rename) the boot.scr file from your /media/A123-456 (or whatever) directory. A kernel parameter is hardcoded in the boot.scr by default and this prevents the script change_display_a10_lime.sh to work properly.
I've changed the resolution to 1920x1080 (tried all modes: i60, i50, p24, p50, p60). But unfortunately screen (or television) is flickering rapidly during video play. Has anyone similar problem? Example:
I replaced the HDMI cable and tried on a LG monitor and Samsung TV too. The error occurs on both devices.

I've ran into the same problem using the android 4GB card. When I'm using the HDMI boot file, it makes the vertically stretching whenever I touch the mouse.

Any1 have a solution for this?

rouvas

@ivanovp: I tried to set resolution to 1920x1080i50 by renaming boot.scr (and then executing /root/change_display...) and it worked OK.

Alas, video playback is awfull. At 1920x1080, mplayer reports that "the systems is too SLOW to play", video playback is in somewhat "reduced" speed and audio is broken/flaky.

My guess is that 512MB of RAM are not enough for this A10.

At 1280x720 (resolution as shipped) playback was flawless.

I really hope someone has a better solution for this.

JohnS

It may be that AW say what the max is that their chips can do.  Less than that, I expect.  Have a look...

John

jpc

Quote from: ivanovp on March 30, 2014, 10:00:48 PM

The flickering can be fixed by enabling the SCALER module in the HDMI pipeline (it is mentioned in several places that this also fixes a similar issue with Mali output). After removing the boot.scr I rebooted and used a10disp to set the HDMI mode (I had to use the "force" variant). By default a10disp enables dummy scaling (1:1) so the output is still sharp but without the flickering during video playback.