DemoSoft_PIC32-MAXI-WEB_v1_03 Compile Issue

Started by SteveT, January 24, 2014, 02:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveT

Hi,

I'm new to PIC, but proposing to use for an embedded controller with GUI.

I'm trying to compile the DemoSoft_PIC32-MAXI-WEB_v1_03 project under the MPLAB X IDE v1.95 with xc32-v1.31.

When compiling the FreeRTOS element I get the following output:
make -f nbproject/Makefile-default.mk SUBPROJECTS= .build-conf
make[1]: Entering directory `C:/Users/Steve/MPLABXProjects/PIC32 MAXIWEB/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS.X'
make  -f nbproject/Makefile-default.mk dist/default/production/FreeRTOS.X.a
make[2]: Entering directory `C:/Users/Steve/MPLABXProjects/PIC32 MAXIWEB/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS.X'
C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\ccn54qlE.s: Assembler messages:
C:\Users\Steve\AppData\Local\Temp\ccn54qlE.s: Error: .size expression for xPortStartScheduler does not evaluate to a constant
make[2]: *** [build/default/production/_ext/636481312/port_asm.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [.build-conf] Error 2
make: *** [.build-impl] Error 2
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microchip\xc32\v1.31\bin\xc32-gcc.exe" -c -mprocessor=32MX795F512L -I.. -I.. -I../Source/portable/MPLAB/PIC32MX -I../Source/include -MMD -MF build/default/production/_ext/636481312/port_asm.o.d -o build/default/production/_ext/636481312/port_asm.o ../Source/portable/MPLAB/PIC32MX/port_asm.S -Wa,--defsym=__MPLAB_BUILD=1,-MD=build/default/production/_ext/636481312/port_asm.o.asm.d,--gdwarf-2 -gdwarf-2
make[2]: Leaving directory `C:/Users/Steve/MPLABXProjects/PIC32 MAXIWEB/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS.X'
make[1]: Leaving directory `C:/Users/Steve/MPLABXProjects/PIC32 MAXIWEB/FreeRTOS/FreeRTOS.X'

BUILD FAILED (exit value 2, total time: 1s)

Can you advise how to fix this please.

Thanks,
Steve.

JohnS

Probably MPLAB X is incompatible because Microchip changed things from their earlier tools.
You'd have to ask Microchip what they changed and why.

John

LubOlimex

Hey SteveT,

Like JohnS said, please use the XC compiler suggested in the project description. Instead of XC32 v1.31 please use XC32 v1.21. We update the project for newer compilers overtime but it is impossible to keep all software up-to-date with every compiler revision released.

And yes most of the times newer compilers are not fully backwards compatible. Sometimes Microchip publishes a good change log or a migration guide that might help you adjust your code but don't count on it.

The Microchip forums are good place to learn about the obvious and not-so-obvious changes of the compiler.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex