Lowest power consumer unit for logging application

Started by tomdensa, November 12, 2014, 01:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomdensa

Hi all,

Sorry I'm totally new to Olimex and fairly new to board programming in general. I wasnt sure where to post this so I've posted in the section where the boards appear to be the lowest consumers from my initial research in the Olimex shop.

Can you please recommend a low power board, capable of logging (SD?) but using a processor with low power consumption mode?

This is for an environmental monitor (temperature at first but to experiment with).
I was hoping to get 3-6 months out of the battery, but I've no idea how realistic this is.

I'm keen to get stuck in but just need a little help navigating all the options!!!

Thanks,
Tom

Insomniac10102

Hey tomdensa,

It's going to depend on the size of the battery of course, but the OLIMEXINO-NANO comes with an SD card holder built on it. There's also some example code for working with the SD card connector and a LiPo battery expansion board. Most of the pins on the board are not a standard size though, so if you plan to use custom hardware on it, you'll need to take that into account.

Edit: Forgot to mention - the MCU on the OLIMEXINO-NANO should be pretty low power, especially if you read up on the power management sections of the datasheets for it.