Active Electrode Improvement/Sleep

Started by chris1, February 24, 2013, 11:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris1

Hi,
Have had some success with the EEG. However I was wonder if the active electodes had "pins" like this

http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/hw/joe_ae/

would this improve the signal through hair. ( a lot of hair lol). If I understand correctly skin contact is essential for good signal so could I  add pins to the electrode indirectly to improve the signal? By indirectly, I mean NOT soldering to the boards but cliping something with spines onto them.

I am also interested in developing a open version of the Grindcare device for TMJD problems.

http://www.grindcare.com/en/grindcare/grindcare.html

But generally this could be of interest to any one looking at sleep study. For the moment I am trying to use BrainBay to activate an alarm when the muscle of the jaw and face activate indicating clenching or grinding of the teeth at night. The problem is the electrodes are hard to keep in full contact and they tend to change their value with any kind of movement. Ideas on how to attach the electrodes securely and make "sleep" proof would be helpful. Wireless version of these is shurely posible? Adapt  the insides of a Bluetooth mouse?

All in all the EEG-SMT is a great product that has suprizingly good response.

LubOlimex

Hey crhis1,

The electrodes you have linked are somehow dangerous so when a lot of customers asked us to make electrodes we evaluated a number of custom made ones and picked what we thought is the safest and the most accurate ones. The contact is essential indeed. Maybe choose zones that are not covered with hair thoroughly - over the temples, near the ears etc. 

About the attaching of the electrodes: some users have used tennis head straps for attaching, tighter hats would do the job also.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

chris1

thanks for the reply. maybe you could elaborate "somehow dangerous"? is it the actual use of spikes that cause problems , or the electronic design- i thought little spikes like  this would have improved contact with the scalp?  thanks,chris.

LubOlimex

Hello Chris,

Most notably the lack of reverse battery protection and the lack of ESD protection.

Best regards,
Lub/OLIMEX
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex