ESP32-EVB LAN8710A power switch (REV I)

Started by MikeZ, February 13, 2024, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeZ

Hi,

I have been using the ESP32-EVB to do some development of ArtNet functionality using the ethernet facility on the board. We are now ready to integrate the ESP32 -LAN8710A side of the board into our product. Is it possible that someone  could explain to me the operation of LAN8710A power switch circuit, specifically the reasoning behind L5 which appears to bypass the MOSFET. Is this circuit  absolutely required, since a spare ESP32 GPIO pin could reset the LAN8710A if required? Forgive my question if I have missed something simple and obvious.
Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
Mike Zomo

LubOlimex

ESP32-EVB shouldn't be the design to use as basis and copy when it comes to ESP32 and Ethernet. It is not what most designers would do. We've done some custom things due to lack of free pins, when it comes to Ethernet - we've put reset schematic with custom delay to GPIO0, since it is used both as bootstrap pin and GPIO clock.

If you need just ESP32 and Ethernet maybe consider using the latest revisions of ESP32-GATEWAY as basis or maybe ESP32-POE, or ESP32-POE-ISO.

By the way, L5 is NA. "NA" means "Not Assembled". There is no L5 there by default but can be placed if you wish to bypass the FETs.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

MikeZ

Hi,

Much thanks for your swift reply.

Kind Regards
Mike Zomo