I could use help installing the image

Started by justaj, February 21, 2013, 10:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justaj

I just received my A13 (non wifi) version in the mail.  I downloaded the win32disk imager as well as the olinuxino_xfce-r17.  I applied the image to my 8GB card and it seemed to take ok however I'm not getting an image in my monitor.  I thought the win32 tool did the formatting/partitioning for you?

Also when i ordered it i didn't realize it didn't even have ethernet.  Do the wireless dongles that they sell for the RPi work on it?

Thanks

vaishali

Hi justaj,

If you have Ubuntu working on your computer , then please try to use following command to copy image on sd card.

dd if=name of the image.img of=/dev/sdX

here X is your sd card.
it works for me.
no idea about R Pi wifi & win32 disk manager.
dinks

jwischka

Quote from: justaj on February 21, 2013, 10:04:31 AM
I just received my A13 (non wifi) version in the mail.  I downloaded the win32disk imager as well as the olinuxino_xfce-r17.  I applied the image to my 8GB card and it seemed to take ok however I'm not getting an image in my monitor.  I thought the win32 tool did the formatting/partitioning for you?

Also when i ordered it i didn't realize it didn't even have ethernet.  Do the wireless dongles that they sell for the RPi work on it?

Thanks

Are you getting any image at all? Do you have a USB-serial cable? If so, can you report the output?

If you wrote the image with the Win32Diskimager, then yes, it should be fine. I assume you unzipped the image with the standard Windows unzip? Also, some people have reported problems with their SD card readers - if you have another one, you might try writing with it. Weird, I know.

Most wireless USB adapters should work, but you'll need to enter your network information. FYI, if you change your WAP to ssid "yourssid" and password to "yourwpakey" then the board should connect - but only if your board recognizes your wireless adapter as wlan0.

justaj

@vaishali - I will try that tonight.  Thanks!
@jwischka - No I'm not getting any image at all.  I don't have a USB to serial cable either.  I'll see if I can pick one up this weekend.  Yeah I used the system unzip tool.  I think I have one other card reader.  I can try that tonight as well.  R17 supports VGA right?

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it!

jwischka

Quote from: justaj on February 21, 2013, 08:09:22 PM
@vaishali - I will try that tonight.  Thanks!
@jwischka - No I'm not getting any image at all.  I don't have a USB to serial cable either.  I'll see if I can pick one up this weekend.  Yeah I used the system unzip tool.  I think I have one other card reader.  I can try that tonight as well.  R17 supports VGA right?

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it!

Default should be VGA on boot, yes. There have been isolated incidents where people had problems burning the image, but it seems to work in general. Bad downloads/unzips and bad cards/readers seem to account for most of the problems.