beaglebone like board using SAMA5D3

Started by tcmichals, February 19, 2013, 07:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

olimex

saw this and will talk to EVB about it next week at Embedded World
seems much less powerful than AM335x and same price range, so when we release AM3352 I do not see who will be interested in this part :)

farlane

You could probably argue the same for the ATSAM91 devices, but as far as i know they are pretty popular and Linux support is right up there with TI. I have a feeling it is even better than Freescale's Linux support.

Apart from that, it is the first single core A5 SoC near to producion status ( that i am aware of anyway )

olimex

there are a lot of Chinese Cortex A5 based devices

wpc

Hello

Me interests a low cost SAMA53D board too, because i think Atmel gives better documentation and sample code than TI.
And TI AM335x have now very low cost board: BBB, but SAMA5 still not..

geniu

Quote from: olimex on February 20, 2013, 08:25:32 AM
seems much less powerful than AM335x and same price range, so when we release AM3352 I do not see who will be interested in this part :)
I'm not sure. AM335x do not offer secure boot option. In SAMA5D3 it is possible.

kpa

Do not think only about processing power but think low power consumption.
An ultra low power ARM module based on Cortex-A5 would be really useful for a lot of application.

For example a module based on SAMA5D3 with LPDDR2/3 and nor or nand flash and an optimized power stage would be really interesting for many applications.

Matthias

yes, we love this processor!
the Atmel software package is well done so its easy to program it bare metal
and as far as I can see, its cheaper than the AM335x
we are going to use it for the http://evoloop.org
so we could buy quantities of a board with the main connectors on one side (and headers on the other)
thank you
Matthias