No HDMI outpit

Started by BuHeTy, May 23, 2023, 10:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuHeTy

Hi,
After successfully using A10's for years we've now switched to STMP157-OLinuXino-LIME2.
After initial install of the Debian image and loading in the board there is no HDMI output, ssh works.
I've performed apt-get upgrade and after reboot there was a video signal with very poor quality of Debian desktop.
On next reboot HDMI signal is lost again.
Need help with that.
Thanks.

LubOlimex

1. Did you use exactly "STM32MP1-OLinuXino-LIME-bullseye-base-20220928-143706.img.7z" image? Can you try with it if you didn't use it so far?

2. Did you run "olinuxino-display"?

3. If the issue remains, try to select "DISABLE" at bottom of "olinuxino-display".

4. If the issue remains, copy paste somewhere full boot log (what is printed over the terminal) with HDMI enabled and give me link.

Keep me updated how it goes.

Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

BuHeTy

Hi,
1. Yes, it is this image
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. No signal on TV
On the box:
root@stm32mp1-olinuxino-lime:/home/olimex# runlevel
N 5
root@stm32mp1-olinuxino-lime:/home/olimex# lshw -class display
root@stm32mp1-olinuxino-lime:/home/olimex#

Returns no graphic adapter.
Can we modprobe some drivers?

LubOlimex

I mean you still get log over the SSH. Copy-paste the whole log from the SSH terminal here.

BuHeTy

OK,
I tried the minimal image and now I ran olinuxino-overlay and choose stm32mp1-hdmi.dts, reboot
Now It showed with greenish signal on TV:
https://dox.abv.bg/download?id=adfec8cb92
After reboot, no signal on the TV again.

LubOlimex

I tested here yesterday and there seems to be some problem with the HDMI output. One display worked fine here, another was blinking and not showing the output properly. There is something fishy will test again today and will give you update. So far I would assume it is a software issue with the Olimage Linux.

LubOlimex

I have hard time replicating your issue here. I believe what happens is that you remove the power supply, while leaving the HDMI cable connected and then you re-attach the power supply and the board doesn't start at all (it is not just the HDMI that doesn't work). This happens because the board get some parasitic powering from the HDMI and when you apply the supply the voltage levels are improper and the board doesn't start.

Can you try to connect the HDMI cable 5 seconds after you apply the power supply?

How do you perform the reboot? (software or hardware reboot, do you reboot with RESET1 button or do you remove the power jack)

What happens if you experiment with the HMDI cable connection at the board, for example:

- when HDMI is not working, try disconnecting the HDMI cable and re-connect it, does the issue persist;
- try what happens if you first power the board and then after 10-15 seconds connect the HDMI cable.

BuHeTy

HI,
I've tried disconnecting the power supply, then put it on and after a while I find the box on the network and ssh to it, but there is no signal on the TV.

"Can you try to connect the HDMI cable 5 seconds after you apply the power supply?"
- Tried it and still no signal.

"How do you perform the reboot? (software or hardware reboot, do you reboot with RESET1 button or do you remove the power jack)"
- only software and when I finish working with the olimex just unplug the power supply

"when HDMI is not working, try disconnecting the HDMI cable and re-connect it, does the issue persist;"
- The problem is still present

"try what happens if you first power the board and then after 10-15 seconds connect the HDMI cable"
-Just tried it, no success

LubOlimex

In all recent tests that you did you kept HDMI enabled in "olinuxino-display", correct? If not, do so. In my first reply I suggested testing with HDMI disabled but this turns off the HDMI for sure. In all tests keep HDMI enabled in "olinuxino-display".

Did you try the different monitor settings? Is there an option to control the frequency? Try adjusting the monitor settings if possible.

Is it possible to test with another HDMI cable and/or monitor?

Here I tested with a number of Linux images, few different STMP157-OLinuXino-LIME2 board variants on at least 4 monitors here and I can't get similar result. Furthermore, investigated the production tests and every such board passes empirical HDMI picture quality test with a monitor.

I am starting to think that it is either a problem with this specific HDMI cable and monitor; or eventually some problem occurred with that specific board after shipping.

BuHeTy

Tried with another monitor, 3 HDMI cables, reenable HDMI from olinuxino-display but nothing changed. No signal, ssh works.

LubOlimex

Send me an e-mail at support@olimex.com - and include a link to this thread. I will give you instructions on return. Make sure to check our warranty and returns policy: https://www.olimex.com/wiki/GTC#Warranty