Problem with Olimex ISP500 and Arduino

Started by Shunt2000, May 17, 2023, 01:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shunt2000

This is Cory. I get some trouble here. I have several Atmel clone boards, which I wanted to flash with the Arduino IDE. Since the boards have an Atmel Atmega328P, I thought an AVR programmer might be useful. So, I got an Olimex ISP500. However, the device is not recognized by the Arduino IDE, and it seems to be a firmware problem. How can I find out if this is the case?

LubOlimex

It should work. Did you follow the instructions on the product page? How to set it up with Arduino IDE? These five steps had been tested and confirmed working today with Windows 10 and Arduino 1.6.7:

1. Plug AVR-ISP500 to the computer via USB cable with a USB type B connector (we sell such a cable in case you don't have one).

2. If you have a newer version of Windows the drivers would install automatically. If they do not install automatically, download and manually install the drivers of AVR-ISP500 from the product page.

3. Before launching Arduino IDE you need to add a configuration for the Olimex programmer. It is simple – navigate to *\arduino-1.6.7\hardware\arduino\avr\ and open the file programmers.txt for editing. At the end of the file add the following:

olimexisp.name=Olimex AVR-ISP500
olimexisp.communication=serial
olimexisp.protocol=stk500v2
olimexisp.program.tool=avrdude
olimexisp.program.extra_params=-P{serial.port}

4. Launch Arduino IDE and select Tools –> Programmer –> "Olimex AVR-ISP500"; also select the COM port of the programmer as seen in "Windows Device Manager"(!)

5. Remember to click Sketch –> Upload using programmer – if you just click "Upload" then Arduino IDE would attempt to upload via the USB.
Technical support and documentation manager at Olimex

Shunt2000

Oh, I forget some steps. Now it work, Big thanks!

pslhit

Quote from: LubOlimex on May 17, 2023, 02:10:43 PMIt should work. Did you follow the instructions on the product page? How to set it up with Arduino IDE? These five steps had been tested and confirmed working today with Windows 10 and Arduino 1.6.7:

1. Plug AVR-ISP500 to the computer via USB cable with a USB type B connector (we sell such a cable in case you don't have one).

2. If you have a newer version of Windows the drivers would install automatically. If they do not install automatically, download and manually install the drivers of AVR-ISP500 from the product page.

3. Before launching Arduino IDE you need to add a configuration for the Olimex programmer. It is simple – navigate to *\arduino-1.6.7\hardware\arduino\avr\ and open the file programmers.txt for editing. At the end of the file add the following:

olimexisp.name=Olimex AVR-ISP500
olimexisp.communication=serial
olimexisp.protocol=stk500v2
olimexisp.program.tool=avrdude
olimexisp.program.extra_params=-P{serial.port}

4. Launch Arduino IDE and select Tools –> Programmer –> "Olimex AVR-ISP500"; also select the COM port of the programmer as seen in "Windows Device Manager"(!)

5. Remember to click Sketch –> Upload using programmer – if you just click "Upload" then Arduino IDE would attempt to upload via the Run 3
By connecting RX to RX and TX to TX everything works.